From $2,151 USD
May 1 - September 30, 2017
10 Days / 9 Nights
Around Iceland, 10-day self-drive tour to Iceland's South, East and North, with Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, Thingvellir and Vatnajokull National parks.
Around Iceland, a 10- day self-drive favorite explores Iceland's rich natural treasures, from National Parks to beautiful waterfalls, striking glaciers, magnificent volcanoes and hot springs. Enjoy Iceland's well-known sites in the South, East and North, visit Reykjavik city, Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir, Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, and Thingvellir and Vatnajokull National parks. You have ample time to cover all the hot spots along the famous Ring Road.
May 1 - September 30, 2017
daily, May 1 - September 30, 2017
- from $2,151 per person, based on 4 persons traveling together, 2 double rooms
- from $2,538 per person, based on 2 persons traveling together, 1 double room
- Rates based on Comfort class
- Car category 2.0, Compact 2wd, Toyota Auris or similar
- Accommodation for 9 nights, Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 9 days
- CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, GPS system, theft protection
- FREE GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Detailed road map (1:500 000)
- Detailed Travel Booklet - guide on travelling in Iceland
- Detailed Travel Booklet - Electronic version
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
- One SIM card worth ISK 2000: 50 minutes of local calls + 300 MB of data*
- Standard, Micro and Nano cards available. Please check with your service provider to make sure that your phone is unlocked before arrival in Iceland
- International flights
- Rental car
- Fuel expenses
- Entrance fees
- Meals other than breakfasts
- $25 Service fee
- May and September are offered with a 20% discount
- Children 2-11 years old: USD 74,- per night when one child shares a double room with 2 adults. Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults.
- Our comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- *Standard, Micro and Nano cards available. Please check with your service provider to make sure that your phone is unlocked before arrival in Iceland.
- *Please note that the package price is based on 9 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 10 an additional supplement will be neccessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 9 day rental is up and use our flybus departure transfer.
- Upgrade to higher car category available
Day 1 WELCOME TO ICELAND - HVERAGERDI
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate mileage:100 km / 62 miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience. From Keflavik International Airport we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. The village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs it is often called the "flower village". Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
If your flight arrives early in the day, you might stop at the Blue Lagoon (a short distance from the airport) for a chance to relax in the soothing geothermal mineral waters.
Important: Please note that admission to the Blue Lagoon must be booked in advance.
Highlights: Reykjavik | National Gallery | Hallgrimskirkja | Tjornin | Perlan | Laugardalur
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras | Fakasel Horse Park - Entrance fee or Barn Visit
Day 2 GEYSIR - THINGVELLIR - BORGARFJORDUR (B)
Greenhouses - Exploding Geysers - National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Massive Waterfall
Approximate mileage: 310 km / 193 miles
Drive to the legendary waterfall Gullfoss and the hot springs at Geysir. Visit Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic parliament, before driving through Hvalfjordur fjord to the historic and scenic Borgarfjordur region.
If you have a 4WD vehicle, you can also take the scenic highland wilderness Kaldidalur track alongside Langjokull glacier to Borgarfjordur. The road generally is open between mid-June and mid-September. Overnight in Borgarfjordur area.
Highlights: Hveragerdi | Kerid / Geysir | Geysir Center | Gullfoss | Thingvellir
Optional: Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths - Entrance fee
Day 3 BORGARFJORDUR - BLONDUOS - AKUREYRI (B)
Fertile Farmlands - Glacial Rivers - Iceland's Second Largest City - Viking Horses
Approximate mileage: 280 km / 174 miles
Drive north through Borgarfjordur to the shores of Hunafloi bay and the towering mountains and horse breeding valley of Skagafjordur. Continue to Akureyri, the capital of the north. Overnight in North Iceland
Highlights: Barnafoss | Hraunfossar
Day 4 AKUREYRI - LAKE MYVATN (B)
Botanical Garden - Museums - Waterfall "Of the Gods"
Approximate mileage: 100 km / 62 miles
Spend the morning exploring the town of Akureyri. Continue your journey to the unique Lake Myvatn area. Stop en route to Myvatn to view the beautiful Godafoss waterfalls, which have a unique connection to Iceland's Viking Age. Overnight in North Iceland.
Highlights: Akureyri | Godafoss | Myvatn
Day 5 LAKE MYVATN AREA (B)
Bizarre Lava Formations - Geothermal Activity - Rich Birdlife
Approximate mileage: variable
Explore the natural wonders of Lake Myvatn and the surrounding area. Stroll along the mystical lava formations at Dimmuborgir. Visit the volcanic area of Krafla along with the colourful sulfurous slopes of Namaskard pass. Enjoy the views of the pseudo craters at Skutustadir. Overnight in North Iceland.
Highlights: Myvatn | Dimmuborgir | Krafla | Myvatn Nature Baths
Day 6 HUSAVIK - TJORNES - DETTIFOSS - EGILSTADIR (B)
Whale Watching - Glacier Carved Gorge - Europe's Most Powerful Waterfall
Approximate mileage: 310 km / 193 miles
Drive north to the fishing port of Husavik, where you might stop to enjoy a whale watching boat tour. Head around Tjornes peninsula on the edge of the Arctic Circle. Visit Asbyrgi, a magnificent horseshoe-shaped canyon, and Jokulsargljufur National Park. Proceed to the mighty Dettifoss waterfall, the most powerful ones in Europe. Then head across the vast highland plateau to Egilsstadir in the east. Overnight in East Iceland.
Highlights: Husavik | Asbyrgi | Dimmuborgir | Jokulsargljufur National Park
Optional: Whale Watching in traditional oak boat - from Husavik
Day 7 REYDARFJORDUR - STODVARFJORDUR - HOFN (B)
Narrow Fjords - Steep Mountains - Picturesque Coastline - Mineral Collection
Approximate mileage: 300 km / 186 miles
Drive south through the spectacular East Fjords, where towering mountains plunge vertically into the ocean. The journey continues to the town of Hofn in Hornafjordur, also known as the lobster capital of northern Europe. Overnight in Southeast Iceland.
Highlights: Egilsstadir | Reydarfjordur | Djupivogur | Petra's Minerals | Hofn
Day 8 HOFN - SKAFTAFELL - KIRKJUBAERKLAUSTUR (B)
Europe's Largest Glacier - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Glacier-Ringed Oasis
Approximate mileage: 200 km / 124 km
Today you will be in the vicinity of Vatnajokull National Park, named after Europe's largest glacier. Visit the shimmering icebergs and the still, milky waters of Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon before continuing to the Skaftafell area of the park, a beautiful green oasis surrounded by glaciers. There are many great hiking trails here. Head wards to the picturesque village of Kirkjubaejarklaustur.
Highlights: Jokulsarlon / Skaftafell National Park
Optional: Glacier Wonders | Amphibian Boat Tour on Glacial Lagoon (from the lagoon)
Day 9 VIK - SKOGAR - REYKJAVIK (B)
Lava Fields - Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore - Seabird Colony - Thundering Waterfalls
Approximate mileage: 260 km / 162 miles
Drive along the spectacular south coast, a sweeping landscape of sandy deserts, rocky shores and rolling farmlands sandwiched between snow-capped glaciers, mountains and the ocean. Stop to admire the black sand beaches and cliffs at Dyrholaey. There are also vast bird colonies here, including puffins (generally seen mid May to early August).
Also visit the beautiful waterfalls of Skogar and Seljalands, each with its own character. You will also see the mighty Eyjafjallajokull volcano, famous for its 2010 eruption. An interesting volcano center at the base of the mountain tells the story of this event. Return to Reykjavik in the late afternoon. Overnight in Reykjavik.
Highlights: Vik | Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Dyrholaey
Optional: Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjokull Glacier (from Basecamp)
Day 10 REYJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Approximate distance: 52 km / 32 miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport, if you did not have time to do it on your arrival day.*
*Please note that the package price is based on 9 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 10 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 9 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
Highlights: Reykjavik | The Blue Lagoon
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras