Self Drive TourIceland
From $1,640 USD
April 1 - October 31, 2018
7 Days / 6 Nights
Geysers, Glaciers and Waterfalls self-drive tour of South and West Iceland, geysers and hot spring areas, majestic glaciers, waterfalls and Glacial Lagoon.
Experience all the wonders of South and West Iceland, including geysers and hot spring areas, majestic glaciers and powerful waterfalls. Continue along the South shore and reach the popular and breathtaking Glacial Lagoon, where smaller and bigger icebergs are constantly floating and drifting. Worry free travelling, with the comfort of staying at the same hotel for more than one night, you have the flexibility to decide the length of your travel days.
April 1 - October 31, 2018
Daily, April 1 - October 31, 2018
- Our Rates quoted are based on Comfort class
- from $1,860 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- from $1,640 per person, based on 4 persons in 2 double rooms
- Rates are based on Comfort class
- Car category 1.0, Toyota Yaris or similar
Higher car category rates:
- $1,655 per person, Car group 2.0, 4 adults
- $1,730 per person, Car group 4.1, 4 adults
- $1,825 per person, Car group 5.1, 4 adults
- $1,930 per person, Car group 7.14, adults
Rates in USD, based on 4 persons in two double rooms. Rental Car for 6 days.
May and September are offered at 20% discount.
June 1 - 14 & August 22 - 31, 2018 are offered at 10% discount.
- Rental car for 6 days
- With CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, theft protection
- Free GPS system
- Two authorized drivers
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Hotel accommodation for 6 nights, Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion, including:
Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
Detailed description of the customer's journey, including hotel itinerary and GPS road guide to each hotel
A map view of the Iceland road trip
Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- International flights
- Meals and beverages
- Gas and/or other personal expenses
- Optional activities/excursions
- Any service not mentioned under "included"
- $25 service fee
- Types of Car recommended: Any Type
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
- *Please note that the package price is based on 6 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 7 an additional supplement will be neccessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 6 day rental is up and use our flybus departure transfer.
- Children 2-11 years old: USD 74 per night. Add the total to the rate for 2 adults in car. Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults.
- *On our comfort self-drive holidays you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- Tour also available as Economy class and Budget class.
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Optional Activity bundle: The Adventurer
- Higher car category
Day 1 ARRIVAL REYKJAVIK
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate mileage: 100 km / 62 miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience. From Keflavik International Airport we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. The village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs it is often called the "Flower village". Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
Depending on your arrival time in Iceland it is ideal to visit the renowned Blue Lagoon (optional) to relax in the geothermal water.
Highlights: Reykjavik | Hallgrimskirkja | Tjornin | Solar Voyager | Reykjavik City Hall | Perlan | National Museum
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Day 2 GULLFOSS - GEYSIR - SOUTH COAST(B)
Thundering Waterfalls - Explosive Geysers - Cliffs & Stone Arches - Black Sand Beaches
Approximate mileage: 190km / 118miles
Visit the majestic Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls, the infamous Eyjafjallajökull glacier and the surrounding area affected by the volcanic eruption of 2010.
Dyrholaey is a rocky headland characterized by a black lava arch. Every year thousands of sea birds, and puffins nest here during the summer. (Puffins are generally in Iceland between mid-May and early August). Overnight in the Vik area.
Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Highlights: Skogafoss | Seljalandsfoss | Dyrholaey | Eyjafjallajökull | The Saga Center | Stokkseyri | Gullfoss | Geysir
Optional: Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjökull Glacier (from Basecamp)
Day 3 SKAFTAFELL - GLACIAL LAGOON - VIK (B)
Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier
Approximate mileage: 385 km /240 miles
Visit the awe-inspiring Skaftafell National Park, which is set between glaciers and offers many hiking possibilities. Continue to the shimmering icebergs of Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon before returning to the charming village of Vik in the afternoon. Overnight in the Vik area.
Highlights: Jökulsarlon | Skaftafell National Park | Vatnajökull | Vik
Optional: Amphibian Boat Tour on Glacial Lagoon (from the lagoon) | Glacier Wonders (from Skaftafell in Vatnajökull National Park)
Day 4 THINGVELLIR - BORGARFJÖRDUR (B)
National Park of Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Europe's Most Powerful Hot Spring
Approximate mileage: 400 km/250 miles
Drive to Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic parliament and a jewel of nature. The park itself is situated in a stunning volcanic landscape of mountains and lava flows, on the border of Iceland's largest lake.
Continue to Borgarfjördur fjord and visit the historic site of Reykholt, the remarkably beautiful Hraunfoss and Barnafoss waterfalls and Deildartunguhver, the most powerful hot spring in Europe. Overnight in West Iceland.
Highlights: Deildartunguhver | Hraunfossar | Barnafoss
Optional: The Settlement Center - Entrance Fee | Into the Glacier - Classic Tour (from Husafell Hotel or Klaki Base Camp)
Day 5 SNÆFELLSNES PENINSULA (B)
Sea Cliffs with Birdlife - Rock Formations - Quaint Fishing Villages
Approximate mileage: 330 km / 200 miles
Explore the countless natural wonders of the Snæfellsnes peninsula. Visit Arnarstapi sea cliffs with its varied birdlife and the rocky beach of Djupalonssandur before driving along the north coast through lively fishing villages.
In Stykkisholmur join a boat tour in Breidafjördur Bay (approx. 2 hours) to admire the rich birdlife and sea life of the area. During the boat tour a shellfish plough is lowered into the ocean and a wonderful selection of shellfish and sea life is caught for viewing and tasting: scallops, sea urchins, crabs, starfish, sea cucumbers and much more. Overnight in West Iceland.
Highlights: Stykkisholmur | Shark Museum | Arnarstapi
Optional: Viking Sushi Boat Tour - Short Version (from Stykkisholmur)
Day 6 REYKJANES PENINSULA - BLUE LAGOON (B)
Volcanic Landscapes - Bubbling Mud Pools - Quaint Fishing Village - Geothermal Spa
Approximate mileage: 170 km / 100 miles
Drive to Reykjanes peninsula and visit the moon-like surrounding of Lake Kleifarvatn and Krysuvik geothermal area with bubbling mud pools. Visit Grindavik fishing village and the famous Blue Lagoon for a relaxing dip in the pleasantly warm geothermal waters, rich in silica and minerals that are great for the skin. Drive to Reykjavik for your last night in Iceland.
Highlights: The Blue Lagoon | Grindavik | Kleifarvatn | Krysuvik
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras - must be booked in advance!
Day 7 DEPARTURE REYKJAVIK (B)
Approximate distance: 52km / 32miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon, if you did not have time to do it on you arrival day.*
*Please note that the package price is based on 6 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 7 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 6 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.