Self Drive Tour and Northern LightsIceland
From $835 USD
October 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018
4 Days / 3 Nights
Glacial Adventure 6-day self-drive to natural wonders of South and Southwest Iceland, glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls, geothermal hot springs and auroras.
Our Glacial Adventure 6-day self-drive tour lets you experience all the natural wonders of South and Southwest Iceland - glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls, geothermal hot springs and more. Follow Iceland's dramatic coastline through an active volcanic zone, passing black-sand beaches, snow-capped mountains, National Parks, picturesque waterfalls, and spouting geysers along the Golden Circle. You might witness a spectacular showing of the magical Aurora.
October 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018
Daily, October 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018
- Car type 1.3, Suzuki Swift 4WD or similar
- from $835 per person, based on 4 adults
- from $999 per person, based on 3 adults
- from $950 per person, based on 2 adults
- from $1,570 single, based on 1 adult
- Higher car categories available, please request
- 2 nights in Reykjavik, including breakfast (except arrival day)
- 3 nights in countryside hotels
- Breakfast buffet daily
- Rental car for 5 days with unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT
- GPS system with car and an additional authorized driver
- Car pick-up/drop-off at Keflavik international airport
- Airport Service Charge
- Detailed Iceland Travel Guide booklet in selected languages
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours
- One Prepaid SIM card including unlimited text and talk for local calls and 1 GB of data
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion
- International airfare & Airport taxes
- Breakfast on arrival day
- International airfare
- Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Admissions and activities
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 14:00
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Meals other then listed above
- Personal insurance / personal items
- $25 Service fee
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
- Above prices are based on Comfort self-drive holidays
- The included SIM card does not function with locked phones. To find out if your phone is locked, please check with your service provider.
- The package price is based on 5 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 6, an additional supplement will charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 5 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Optional excursions
- Higher category car
- Activity bundle: Explorer self-drive
Day 1 ARRIVAL ICELAND - REYKJAVIK
Arrival in Iceland - The world's northernmost capital city | Approximate distance: 100km / 62miles
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport in Iceland, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel in Reykjavik. The rest of the day is yours to rest and to enjoy at your own leisure. Overnight in 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
Day 2 THINGVELLIR - GEYSIR - GULLFOSS (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Explosive Geysers - The Famous Golden Falls | Approximate distance: ca200km / 125miles
Head for the UNESCO-listed Thingvellir National Park, where the world's oldest parliament met for centuries on the shores of Iceland's largest lake. Then drive to the village of Laugarvatn and continue through farmland areas to the geothermal fields of Geysir, with bubbling mud pools and the regularly erupting Strokkur geyser. Visit the dramatic, two-tiered Gullfoss waterfall, a spectacular sight in winter when frozen mid-cascade. Overnight in Hella/Hvolsvollur.
Highlights: Geysir | Gullfoss | Thingvellir
Day 3 SOUTH SHORE - EYJAFJALLAJOKULL (B)
Waterfalls - Volcanic Aftermath - Black-Sand Beaches | Approximate distance: ca365km / 225miles
Spend this day exploring the region close to the towering strato-volcano Eyjafjallajokull, which is possibly the most famous volcano in the world today.
Driving along the South Shore you can also visit the spectacular waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Then continue onwards to Reynisfjara beach and its striking black sands, viewing the extraordinary rock formations and thundering waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Overnight in Hofn.
Highlights: Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Eyjafjallajokull | Reynisdrangar Cliffs | Vik
Day 4 SKAFTAFELL - JOKULSARLON GLACIAL LAGOON (B)
Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier | Approximate distance: ca200km / 125miles
Skaftafell National Park is one of Iceland's most outstanding areas of natural beauty. It's dominated by the Vatnajokull glacier, Europe's largest ice cap.
Continue to the photogenic Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, where you can enjoy the breathtaking sight of floating, blue-tinted icebergs in this 180 meter deep glacial lagoon. Overnight at Kirkjubaejarklaustur area.
Highlights: Skaftafell National Park | Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon
Day 5 HVERGERDI - BLUE LAGOON - REYKJAVIK (B)
Greenhouse Village - Thundering Waves - Geothermal Lagoon | Approximate distance: 249km / 155miles
Head towards the village of Hveragerdi, which is one of the few communities in the world located directly on top of an active geothermal area. Hveragerdi is often called 'the flower village' because of its many greenhouses that are heated by hot water from nearby springs. Continue snaking along the coast, with its breathtaking sea waves.
On to the Reykjanes peninsula where you can enjoy a relaxing soak in the famous Blue Lagoon, a unique wonder of nature with pleasantly warm and mineral-rich geothermal water, located in a middle of a black lava field. Return to Reykjavik for overnight stay.
Highlights: Hveragerdi Hot Spring | Reykjanes | The Blue Lagoon
Day 6 DEPARTURE REYKJAVIK (B)
Return to Keflavik International Airport.
We recommend departing the hotel approximately 3 hours prior to the departure of your international flight.
**Please note that the package price is based on 5 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 6, an additional supplement will be charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 5-day rental is up and use our Flybus plus departure transfer.
The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings can not be guaranteed.