Highlights of Norwegian Lapland, 7-day self-drive adventure around the fascinating Sami country. Visit the magnificent Arctic Cathedral in Tromso, museums featuring regional art, Sami culture and history, and polar science. Enjoy dramatic views of the Lyngen Alps renowned for its glaciers, valleys and high peaks plunging deep into arctic seas. Continue to the Lappish region of Alta, visit the North Cape, return via Hammerfest and Storslett to Tromso.
June - August, 2017
Daily, June - August, 2017
- from $1,625 per person in double room
- from $2,655 single room
- 6 nights hotel accommodations at 3* centrally located hotels
- Breakfast buffet daily
- Entrance North Cape Hall
- Ferries for passengers and car:
- Breivikeidet – Svensby
- Lyngseidet - Olderdalen
- Car rental class C (Ford Focus or similar), 7 days (168 hours)
- Unlimited mileage, Collision Damage Waiver, Theft protection and tax
- Pick-up/drop-off airport/airport Tromso**
- International Airfare & Airport tax
- Fuel, GPS and other surcharges
- Meals other than breakfast
- Personal trip insurance
- $25 Service fee
- ** The minimum age to rent a vehicle is 25 years and drivers must have held a driving licence for at least 12 months prior to hiring the car. The price includes unlimited mileage, Collision Damage Waiver, Theft protection and tax. Petrol, GPS and other surcharges are not included.
- Payment by voucher, but the client must guarantee with own credit card when picking up car.
- Please note all rates and services remain subject to avaliability.
- Upgrade to automatic, Cat J, type Suzuki S-Cross or similar, in double room, $90
- Upgrade to automatic, Cat J, type Suzuki S-Cross or similar, in single room, $180
- Upgrade to higher car category available
Day 1 WELCOME TO TROMSO
Pick-up the rental car, and drive to the centre of the town. Get to know Tromso, the principal city of Northern Norway and known as the Gateway to the Arctic because of the significance in Norwegian commercial history. There are plenty of museums focusing on regional art, Sami culture and history, and polar science.
We recommend a short trip by cable car to Storsteinen Mountain, where you can enjoy the view of Tromso and surroundings. Also worth a visit is the magnificent Arctic Cathedral, a masterpiece of modern architecture.
Thon Hotel Tromso
Day 2 TROMSO - ALTA (B) (295 km/ 185 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel. Drive to Breivikeidet for your ferry crossing towards Svensby an further on another ferry crossing from Lyngseidet to Olderdalen with formidable views to the Lyngen Alps. The Lyngen Alps are home to some of Troms county's most prominent and majestic mountain. The area is renowned for its glaciers, deep valleys and high peaks which plunge directly into arctic seas. Due to the very alpine nature of the mountain range and its unique wildlife, flora and fauna, the Lyngen Alps are a protected area in Norway. Continue through the Lappish region and arrival in Alta.
We recommend a visit to the ethnographic museum Alta (entrance not included).
Thon Hotel Alta
Day 3 ALTA - NORTH CAPE (B) (210 km/130 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel. Drive north along "the midnightsun road", over the wild Senna Land to Skaidi for the final stage of your journey to the northernmost point of Europe - the North Cape. Drive along the Porsangerfjord before arriving in Kafjord. Continue through the tunnel to the little town of Honningsvag. Time to explore this beautiful town with souvenir shops and Sami museums.
In the evening approx. 45 minutes drive to the North Cape and "Nordkapphallen" (North Cape Hall), where you can admire the Artic Ocean and have the possibility to see the Midnight Sun. You will find souvenir shops, cinema, post office, restaurant, viewing platform and much more.
(Please note that the Scandic Hotels in Honningsvag does not confirm specific hotel until approx. 2 weeks before arrival).
Accomodation at Scandic Hotel Nordkapp, or similar
Scandic Hotel Nordkapp
Day 4 NORTH CAPE - HAMMERFEST (B) (220 km/140 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel. Continue to Hammerfest, an important fishing center. We recommend a visit to the Royal Society of the White Bears and The Hammerfest mountain "Salen", which is about 80m high and offers an impressive view over the bay, the sund and the neighbor islands Soroya and Seiland. The viewpoint can be reached in different ways: walking across the Zigzag Path directly from the city center or by car via the Turistveien.
Accommodation at Thon Hotel Hammerfest, or similar
Thon Hotel Hammerfest
Day 5 HAMMERFEST - SORKJOSEN (B) (315 km/195 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel. Drive south and pass Alta once more on you route towards Sorkjosen and Reisafjord Hotel, located right next to the small harbor. Sorkjosen was historically an important shipping center for the Troms region.
Accommodation at Reisafjord Hotel, or similar
Day 6 SORKJOSEN - TROMSO (B) (235 km/145 mi)
Breakfast at the hotel. Continue to Tromso via Skibotn and Balsfjord without ferries.
Accommodation at Thon Hotel Tromso, or similar
Thon Hotel Tromso
Day 7 DEPARTURE TROMSO (B)
After breakfast check out and drive to Tromso Airport to drop off rental car. End of services.