Self Drive TourIceland
From $1,935 USD
May 1 - September 30, 2018
8 Days / 7 Nights
Ring Road highlights, bestseller classic circle around Iceland's Geysir area, hot springs and National Parks. Explore the East fjords, Myvatn and Akureyri.
Ring Road tour to the west of Iceland, one of our self-drive bestsellers, includes the option of driving through the interior via Kjolur highland track, a mountain pass between two large glaciers. Discover Thingvellir National Park, a place of great geological and historical interest, the spectacular Gullfoss waterfall, Geyser hot springs with the spouting Strokkur, and Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, major attractions around Iceland's main ring road.
May 1 - September 30, 2018
Daily, May 1 - September 30, 2018
- Our Rates quoted are based on Comfort class
- from $1,935 per person, based on 4 persons in 2 double rooms
- from $2,199 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- Car category 2.0, Compact 2wd, Toyota Auris or similar
- Children 2-11 years old: USD 74 per night. Add the total to the rate for 2 adults in car.
- Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults
- June 1 - 14 and August 22 - 31, 2018 are offered with a 10% discount
- May - September 2018 are offered with a 20% discount
- $1,935 Group 2.0, based on 4 persons traveling together
- $2,425 Group 2.0, based on 3 persons traveling together
- $2,199 Group 2.0, based on 2 persons traveling together
Rates in USD, per person in double room, Comfort class.
Rental car for 7 days. Types of car recommended: Group 2 and higher.
- Accommodation for 7 nights, Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 7 days
- CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, GPS system, theft protection
- Free GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion, including:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- Detailed description of the customer's journey, including hotel itinerary and GPS road guide to each hotel
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Airport transfers
- Meals other than mentioned
- Optional tours and activities
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- $25 service fee
- Types of Car recommended: 2.0 or higher.
- You must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car category 5.0 or higher.
- *Please note that the package price is based on 7 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 8 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 7 day rental is up and use our flybus departure transfer.
- Our comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- Tour also available as Economy class and Budget class.
- Add on Activity bundle:
- The Navigator & The Aquarius
- Higher car category
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Visit to the Blue Lagoon
Day 1 ARRIVAL KEFLAVIK - HVERAGERDI
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate mileage: 100 km / 62 miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience. From Keflavik International Airport we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. The village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and because of its many greenhouses, heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the "flower village".
Depending on your arrival time in Iceland it is ideal to visit the renowned Blue Lagoon to relax in the geothermal water. Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
Highlights: Reykjavik | Hallgrimskirkja | Solar Voyager | Perlan | National Museum
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Day 2 THINGVELLIR NATIONAL PARK - GULLFOSS - SOUTH SHORE (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Exploding Geysers - Puffin Colony - Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore
Approximate mileage: 310 km / 193 miles
Today's highlights include the geologically and historically significant Thingvellir National Park, the spectacular Gullfoss waterfall, and the famous Geysir hot spring area. Drive along the south shore, viewing Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls, the black sand beaches around Vik, and Myrdalsjökull glacier. Overnight in the Vik area.
Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Highlights: Thingvellir | Gullfoss | Geysir | Geysir Center | Eyjafjallajökull | Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Dyrholaey
Optional: Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjökull Glacier (from Basecamp) | Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths - Entrance fee
Day 3 SKAFTAFELL - GLACIAL LAGOON - HÖFN (B)
Lava Fields - Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier
Approximate mileage: 270 km / 168 miles
Drive through the village of Kirkjubaejarklaustur, site of a medieval convent. Explore Skaftafell, a green oasis nestled below the great Vatnajökull glacier. Skaftafell is part of Vatnajökull National Park, the largest of its type in Western Europe.
Continue across black sand plains created by glacial activity. Stop at the amazing Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, a filming location for many Hollywood blockbusters. Then head onwards to the charming harbor town Höfn, also known as the lobster capital of northern Europe. Overnight in the Hornafjördur area.
Highlights: Jökulsarlon | Skaftafell National Park | Vatnajökull | Höfn
Optional: Glacier Wonders (from Skaftafell in Vatnajökull National Park) | Amphibian Boat Tour on Glacial Lagoon (from the lagoon)
Day 4 HÖFN - EAST FJORDS - EGILSTADIR (B)
Narrow Fjords - Steep Mountains - Picturesque Coastline - Intriguing Stone Collection
Approximate mileage: 300 km / 186 miles
Drive along the rugged coastline of the East Fjords with their towering mountains and charming fishing villages. On the way you have the option of taking a boat tour to Papey Island where thousands of puffins nest in the summer or visit Petra's famous collection of local stones and minerals at Stodvarfjördur. Overnight in East Iceland.
Highlights: Skrudur Island | Petra's Minerals | Djupivogur | Reydarfjördur | Egilsstadir
Optional: Dinner with the Locals (from Egilsstadir, East Iceland)
Day 5 DETTIFOSS - HUSAVIK - MYVATN (B)
Highland Desert - Europe's Most Powerful Waterfall - Glacier Carved Gorge - Whale Watching
Approximate mileage: 310 km / 193 miles
Travel across Modrudalsoraefi highlands renowned for their stark, untouched beauty towards Dettifoss, Europe's mightiest waterfall. Visit the magnificent horseshoe-shaped canyon Asbyrgi. Drive onwards to Tjornes peninsula and the friendly Husavik fishing port. Overnight in Northeast Iceland.
Highlights: Jökulsargljufur National Park | Dettifoss | Asbyrgi | Husavik | Whale Museum
Optional: Whale Watching in traditional Oak boat - from Husavik
Day 6 LAKE MYVATN - AKUREYRI - GODAFOSS (B)
Bizarre Lava Formations - Geothermal & Volcanic Activity - Rich Birdlife - Waterfall "Of the Gods"- The Capital of North Iceland
Approximate mileage: 130 km / 81 miles
Explore highlights of the Lake Myvatn area, including the mystical volcanic formations at Dimmuborgir, the pseudo craters at Skutustadir, the colourful sulfurous slopes of Namaskard and Krafla volcanic area. Drive to Godafoss waterfall en route to Akureyri, the charming "capital" of North Iceland. Overnight in Eyjafjördur or Skagafjördur area.
Highlights: Myvatn | Dimmuborgir | Krafla | Godafoss | Akureyri | Myvatn Nature Baths
Day 7 VARMAHLID - REYKHOLT - BORGARNES - REYKJAVIK (B)
Fertile Farmlands - Glacial Rivers - Folk Museum - Scenic Fjord
Approximate mileage: 490 km / 305 miles
Drive through the historical region of Skagafjördur, renowned for horse breeding. You have an option of visiting the old farmstead at Glaumbær, a great example of old Icelandic architecture. Continue to the bay of Hunafloi and across Holtavorduheidi plateau, enter Borgarfjördur area. Return to Reykjavik in the evening.
Another option is to travel across the barren Kjölur highland road (4WD needed, track open from mid-June through August), to the geothermal oasis at Hveravellir before driving to Reykjavik.
Highlights: Dalvik | Saudarkrokur | Barnafoss | Hraunfossar | Borgarnes
Day 8 REYKJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Approximate distance: 52 km / 32 miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport, if you did not have time to do it on you arrival day.
Highlights: Reykjavik | The Blue Lagoon
Please note that the package price is based on 7 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 8 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 7 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.