Self Drive TourIceland
From $545 USD
October 31, 2020 - April 30, 2021
5 Days / 4 Nights
Golden Circle, 5-day self-drive tour to South Iceland. Visit Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir hot springs and the historic site of Thingvellir National Park.
Iceland Golden Circle, a best-seller self-drive tour to Iceland's South. In only 5 days you will discover, at your own pace, the main attractions of the Golden Circle with Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir Hot Springs, the historic site of Thingvellir National Park. Explore rich natural treasures of national parks, gushing waterfalls, glaciers, volcanoes and geyser areas. Travel in the footsteps of the Viking Sagas in Borgarfjördur and surrounding area.
October 31, 2020 - April 30, 2021
Daily, October 31, 2020 - April 30, 2021
- Our Rates quoted are based on Comfort class
- from $545 per person, based on 4 persons traveling together, 2 x double rooms
- from $670 per person, based on 3 persons, 1 x double room & 1 single room
- from $635 per person, based on 2 persons, 1 x double room
- from $1,090 single, based on 1 adult in single room
- Rates based on Comfort class, car group 1.3.
Rates in USD per person. Rental car for 4 days. Higher car categories available.
- Accommodation in a standard room for 4 nights, Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 4 days
- CDW, unlimited mileage, theft protection
- FREE GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Tablet with the Iceland Travel Companion App. The app includes:
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- A map view of your entire trip
- Thousands of points of interest with descriptions clearly displayed on your map
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- GPS Road Guide in several different languages, safety guidelines, and the apps of the
Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration, emergency numbers
- Detailed Travel Booklet – Electronic version in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours
- Customer care service during office hours
- 24-hour Iceland Travel emergency line assistance while you are in Iceland
- Service fee and taxes
- International flights
- Breakfast on arrival day
- Meals and beverages
- Tolls (tunnels, roads and other route tolls), unless specified
- Admissions and activities other than those noted in itinerary
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland starts 14:00 – 16:00
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- Types of Car recommended for October– April: min. 1.3 must be 4WD
- **Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5, an additional supplement will be charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4-day rental is up and use our Airport Direct departure transfer.
- Our Comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 3 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- Tour also available as Economy class and Budget class.
Day 1 ARRIVAL KEFLAVIK - HVERAGERDI
Arrival in the Land of Fire and Ice
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time in Iceland, it may be ideal to stop and visit the renowned Blue Lagoon where you can relax in its geothermal waters.
Important: admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance. We can help you with that!
October – April: Drive to your hotel in Reykjavik, the colorful capital of Iceland. Approximate distance: 50km/30 mi
Please note check-in for most hotels begins at 14:00 – 16:00 (2:00pm-4:00pm)
Highlights: Reykjavik | The Blue Lagoon | Hallgrimskirkja
Day 2 SOUTH COAST (B)
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive along the scenic South Shore and the area near the infamous Eyjafjallajökull volcano. This is the volcano whose massive 2010 eruption caused air traffic around the world to be cancelled We recommend a stop at the interactive LAVACenter where you'll learn about the powerful volcanic and tectonic forces that shaped both Iceland and Earth. The center has interesting exhibits for all age groups.
Your journey takes you by the beautiful Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls (each one worth visiting) and Myrdalsjökull glacier. You can opt for a fun snowmobiling trip on the glacier and (if the weather is clear) a splendid view over southern Iceland. Stop by the seafront village of Vik to explore a dramatic stretch of coastline poised between glacier-topped mountains, rugged sea cliffs and black- sand beaches. Dyrholaey* is a rocky headland famous in photos for its black lava arch. During the summer, thousands of sea birds and puffins nest here (puffins are generally in Iceland between mid-May and early August). Approximate distance: 215km / 134mi
*Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Overnight in the Vik area
Highlights: Seljalandsfoss | Eyjafjallajökull | Skogafoss |Dyrholaey
Day 3 THJORSARDALUR VALLEY - GULLFOSS - GEYSIR (B)
Colorful Valley - Hekla Volcano - The Famous Golden Falls - Exploding Geysers
Breakfast at your hotel. Explore Thjorsardalur valley and its ever-changing landscapes of birch woods, sandy lava fields, rivers and waterfalls. You'll also see the impressive and beautiful Mt. Hekla volcano towering over the region. During the summer you can visit the excavated site of a Viking age farm that was covered by lava from one of Hekla's eruptions. A replica shows you how the longhouse looked (admission not included).
Continue to the amazing sites of Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir hot spring area. Gullfoss is considered by many visitors to be Iceland’s most beautiful waterfalls. Geysir is an active geothermal field with many bubbling steam vents and spouting hot springs, including the famous Strokkur geyser. If you enjoy history, we suggest you visit Laugarvatnshellir, a cave cleverly converted into a home for two Icelandic families in the early 20th century. The cave has been restored to show how it looked in those days.
A great way to relax after an exciting day is to visit either the Fontana Steam Baths in Laugarvatn or the Secret Lagoon in Fludir. Both places are a part of the area's history and popular with both Icelanders and visitors. Approximate distance: 295km / 183mi
Overnight in the Golden Circle area.
Highlights: Thjorsardalur | Hekla | Geysir | Geysir Center | Gullfoss
Day 4 THINGVELLIR - BORGARFJÖRDUR AREA (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) –Picturesque Fjords – Waterfalls
Breakfast at your hotel. Visit Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic Viking parliament and a jewel of nature. Here you can see the meeting point between the North American and Europe continents. Many important historical events happened here. Several walking trails and hiking trails take visitors to historical points of interest.
Then travel via either along scenic Hvalfjördur fjord or the vast Kaldidalur wilderness track (Open June-August, 4WD needed), your journey continues to the beautiful Borgarfjördur region and Reykholt, home of the colourful 13th-century chieftain and Saga author Snorri Sturluson. While in the area you might stop by the Sturlureykir Visiting Horse Farm, where you can take a guided tour around the farm, meet friendly Icelandic horses and try home-made baked treats in the farm's café.
Within the area are also two scenic, impressive waterfalls. Hraunfossar, the Lava Falls, appear as though glacial water is bursting through lava formations. The nearby Barnafoss falls has brilliantly blue waters. Visit Deildartunguhver, the most powerful and fastest hot springs in Europe. You can't bathe in these springs, but the nearby Krauma natural geothermal baths uses water from Deildartunguhver combined with cool mountain springs to create the ideal temperature for relaxation. Approximate distance: 260km / 162mi
Head to Reykjavik in the afternoon for your last night in Iceland.
Overnight in Reykjavik.
Highlights: Thingvellir | Barnafoss | Deildartunguhver
Day 5 REYKJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive back to Keflavik International Airport.** We recommend departing your hotel in Reykjavik no later than at least 3 hours before your flight departure. It takes approximately 1 hour to drive to the airport, and check-in will start 2 hours before your departure.
If you did not visit the Blue Lagoon on your way to the city on your first day but have some free time today, you might want to use the opportunity en route to the airport. For this detour, please be sure to allow for at least 2-2,5 hours extra so you'll have ample time at the lagoon. Your rental car should be returned to the airport service area, which is located only 2 minutes from the airport building. A shuttle will then transport you to the departure hall. Approximate distance: 50 km / 30 mi
**Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5, an additional supplement will be charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4-day rental is up and use our Airport Direct departure transfer.
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
*Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.