Self Drive TourIceland
From $1,075 USD
April 1 - October 31, 2019
5 Days / 4 Nights
Golden Circle, 5-day self-drive tour to South Iceland. Visit Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir hot springs and the historic site of Thingvellir National Park.
Iceland Golden Circle, a best-seller self-drive tour to Iceland's south. In only 5 days you will discover, at your own pace, the main attractions of the Golden Circle with Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir Hot Springs, the historic site of Thingvellir National Park. Explore rich natural treasures of national parks, gushing waterfalls, glaciers, volcanoes and geyser areas. Travel in the footsteps of the Viking Sagas in Borgarfjördur and surrounding area.
April 1 - October 31, 2019
Daily, April 1 - October 31, 2019
- Our Rates quoted are based on Comfort class
- from $1,075 per person, based on 4 persons traveling together, 2 x double rooms, car grp.1.0
- from $1,340 per person, based on 3 persons traveling together, 2 x double room + 1 single room, car grp.1.0
- from $1,245 per person, based on 2 persons, 1 x double rooms
- Rates based on Comfort class
- Children 2-11 years old: $86 per night (Add the total to the rate for 2 adults in car).
- Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults
Rates in USD, based on 4 persons in two double rooms. Rental car for 4 days.
- Rental car for 4 days
- CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, GPS system, theft protection
- Two authorized drivers
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Accommodation for 4 nights, Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- FREE GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Fuel discount card
- Car pick up/drop off at Keflavik International Airport
- Tablet with a new app called Iceland Travel Companion App
- The app includes:
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- A map view of your entire trip
- Thousands of points of interest with descriptions clearly displayed on your map
- The points of interest can be customized to suit your interests and individual route
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- GPS Road Guide in several different languages
- Detailed Travel Booklet – Electronic version in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- Customer care service during office hours
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
- International flights
- Meals and beverages
- Optional tours and activities
- Any service not specifically listed under
- Personal insurance / personal items
- $25 service fee
- Types of Car recommended: any type
- *Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
- Our Comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- Tour also available as Economy class and Budget class.
- Optional excursions
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Higher car category
Car types in Iceland
Driving in Iceland
Activity Bundle: The Gourmand, The Discoverer, The Hot Springs Specialist
Day 1 ARRIVAL KEFLAVIK - HVERAGERDI
Approximate distance: 100km / 62mi
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower Village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Once you have landed at Keflavik Aiport, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time in Iceland, it may be ideal to stop and visit the renowned Blue Lagoon where you can relax in its geothermal waters. Important: admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance. We can help you with that!
October – April: Drive to your hotel in Reykjavik, the colourful capital of Iceland. (Approximate distance: 50km/30 mi)
May – September: Drive along the southern coast of the Reykjanes Peninsula to the charming village of Hveragerdi for your overnight. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and, because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the "flower village". There are plenty of outdoor and wellness activities to enjoy here, and several restaurants with a unique local focus. (Approximate distance: 100km / 62miles)
Please note check-in for most hotels begins at 14:00 – 16:00 (2:00pm-4:00pm)
Important: Admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance
Highlights: The Blue Lagoon | Hallgrimskirkja | Hveragerdi
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Day 2 SOUTH COAST (B)
Approximate distance: 190km / 118mi
Thundering Waterfalls - Cliffs & Stone Arches - Black Sandy Beaches of the South Shore
Drive along the scenic South Shore and the area near the infamous Eyjafjallajökullvolcano. This is the volcano whose massive 2010 eruption caused air traffic around the world to be cancelled We recommend a stop at the interactive Lava Center where you'll learn about the powerful volcanic and tectonic forces that shaped both Iceland and Earth. The center has interesting exhibits for all age groups.
Your journey takes you by the beautiful Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls (each one worth visiting) and Myrdalsjökull glacier. You can opt for a fun snowmobiling trip on the glacier and (if the weather is clear) a splendid view over southern Iceland. Stop by the seafront village of Vik to explore a dramatic stretch of coastline poised between glacier-topped mountains, rugged sea cliffs and black- sand beaches. Dyrholaey* is a rocky headland famous in photos for its black lava arch. During the summer, thousands of sea birds and puffins nest here (puffins are generally in Iceland between mid-May and early August). Overnight in South Iceland, Vik area.
*Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Highlights: Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Eyjafjallajökull | Dyrholaey
Day 3 THJORSARDALUR VALLEY - GULLFOSS - GEYSIR (B)
Approximate distance: 315km / 195mi
Colorful Valley - Hekla Volcano - The Famous Golden Falls - Exploding Geysers
Explore Thjorsardalur valley and its contrasting landscapes of birch woods, sandy lava fields, rivers and waterfalls. The impressive Hekla volcano towers over the region. This valley is also where you can visit the excavated site of a Viking age farm that had been destroyed one of Hekla's eruptions.
Continue to the amazing sites of Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir hot spring area. Overnight in the Golden Circle area.
Highlights: Thjorsardalur | Hekla | Geysir | Gullfoss
Day 4 THINGVELLIR - BORGARFJÖRDUR AREA (B)
Approximate distance: 300km / 186mi
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Picturesque Fjords - Waterfalls
Visit Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic parliament and a jewel of nature. Here you can see the rift between the continents.
Then via either Hvalfjördur fjord or the Kaldidalur highland track (Open June - August, 4WD needed) your journey continues to the beautiful Borgarfjördur region and Reykholt, home of the 13th-century scholar Saga author Snorri Sturluson. Return to Reykjavik in the afternoon. Overnight in Reykjavik.
Highlights: Thingvellir | Barnafoss | Deildartunguhver
Day 5 REYKJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Approximate distance: 52 km / 32 mi
Return to Keflavik International Airport**
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive back to Keflavik International Airport. * We recommend departing your hotel in Reykjavik no later than at least 3 hours before your flight departure. It takes approximately 1 hour to drive to the airport, and check-in will start 2 hours before your departure.
If you did not visit the Blue Lagoon on your way to the city on your first day but have some free time today, you might want to use the opportunity en route to the airport. For this detour, please be sure to allow for at least 2-2,5 hours extra so you'll have ample time at the lagoon. Your rental car should be returned to the airport service area, which is located only 2 minutes from the airport building. A shuttle will then transport you to the departure hall.
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
*Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.