Explorer CruiseNorway and Spitsbergen
From $8,641 USD
August 25 - September 5, 2020
12 Days / 11 Nights
Norway & Svalbard-Highlights of Spitsbergen and Norway's North Cape, 12-day expedition cruise on the new MS Spitsbergen from Oslo/Longyearbyen to Tromsø.
Norway and Svalbard - Highlights of Spitsbergen and Norway's North Cape, 12-day expedition cruise on the new MS Spitsbergen from Oslo/Longyearbyen, filled with history, wildlife and brilliant scenery. Explore the island wilderness of Spitsbergen, go ashore at Bjørnøya, said to host the largest concentration of sea birds in the Northern Hemisphere. We also watch for polar bears. Cross the Arctic Ocean to paradise islands of Sommarøy and Tromsø, Norway.
August 25 - September 5, 2020
August 25, 2020
- Polar Inside - from $8,641 per person in double cabin
- Polar Outside - from $9,916 per person in double cabin
- Arctic Superior - from $10,891 per person in double cabin
- Expedition Suite - from $13,891 per person in double cabin
Hurtigruten has a flexible pricing system and all prices are capacity controlled and subject to availability.
Prices may change at any time before departure date. The applicable price will be quoted at the time of booking.
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise 12 days
- Cabin grade of your choice
- Full board: breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Coach-class flight Oslo to Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the cruise, including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen
- Excursion before the voyage
- A rich program of included activities
- Onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking international expedition team
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage
- Opportunities to engage with the expedition team
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Landings with small boats
- Welcome event and Farewell event
- Complimentary tea and coffee
No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Hurtigruten has a flexible pricing system and all prices are capacity controlled and subject to availability.
- Prices may change at any time before departure date. The applicable price will be quoted at the time of booking.
- This is an expedition where the elements rule, and the weather, wind, and ice conditions will determine our schedule. Safety is paramount and the captain will decide the final sailing itinerary during the voyage. Therefore, this itinerary is only an indication of what you can experience and why every expedition with Hurtigruten is unique.
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
Practical Information - MS Spitsbergen Handbook
Day 1 Oslo / Longyearbyen - Flight & Overnight
Day 2 Longyearbyen - Embarkation
Day 3-7 North West Spitsbergen National Park
Day 8-9 Bellsund & South Spitsbergen National Park
Day 10 Bjørnøya
Day 11 Hornvika, Skarsvåg & Gjesvær
Day 12 Tromsø
Day 1 OSLO - LONGYEARBYEN
Before your flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, check out the urban amenities of Norway's capital. Your arrival in Longyearbyen reveals an entirely different world, a colorful small town perched on the edge of Arctic wilderness. Enjoy the museum and choose among several bars and restaurants. Transfer to your hotel and overnight.
Day 2 LONGYEARBYEN - EMBARKATION (B, L, D)
The Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic
Day 3 - 7 NORTH WEST SPITSBERGEN NATIONAL PARK (B, L, D)
Exploring Amazing Fjords with Fascinating History - North West Spitsbergen National Park
Spitsbergen's northwest corner is scattered with islands, fjords and beaches. Pioneering explorers and hardy whalers were the first to set foot here. Today, we respect the power of nature and work with the elements to ensure a safe and exciting itinerary.
We hope to land and see whaling settlements, or visit Kongsfjorden, considered one of the most beautiful fjord areas in Spitsbergen, with mighty glaciers calving icebergs into the sea. The former mining settlement of Ny-Ålesund is another possible destination. It is now an international research center with a picturesque mix of old and new buildings.
In the Magdalenafjorden and Gravneset areas, you may get the chance to bathe in the sea and earn a rare Arctic swimming certificate. There will also be exciting landings and optional scenic kayaking opportunities.
Day 8 & 9 BELLSUND - SOUTH SPITSBERGEN NATIONAL PARK (B, L, D)
We now head south to the Bellsund area, followed by Hornsund with its wonderful varied landscape and geology. On a clear day, we might even see the amazing Hornsundtind, 4,700 ft above sea level. This area was popular with polar bear hunters until 1973. We hope to see a polar bear here too!
DAY 10 BJORNØYA
This isolated island is said to host the largest concentration of sea birds in the Northern Hemisphere, as well as polar bears. In the north part of the island is Bjørnøya weather station, which provides vital data to scientists worldwide. The wind and weather conditions will determine what we can do today.
Day 11 HORNVIKA - SKARSVÅG - GJESVÆR
In the early morning, we sail past the North Cape. Here we offer you the chance to make the steep hike up to the cape starting in Hornvika, or to visit the cape by bus from Skarsvåg. The ship will continue to Gjesvær, where the excursion participants will come back onboard. Next, we sail past Gjesværstappan, a bird cliff which is home to one of the largest seabird colonies in Norway.
North Cape (3 hrs 30)
Cross the 71st parallel and enjoy magnificent landscapes on a trip to North Cape, one of the most northernmost points in Europe. North Cape cliff rises 307 meters above the Arctic Ocean. See an impressive 180° panoramic film about the region in North Cape Hall, where you can also visit a souvenir shop, small chapel and a Thai Museum.