Self Drive TourIceland
From $1,655 USD
May 1 - September 30, 2020
8 Days / 7 Nights
New Iceland Complete 9-day self-drive tour, visit sights of the Ring Road at your own pace, along with Glacier Lagoon, Lake Myvatn and famed Golden Circle.
New Iceland Complete 9-day self-drive tour, experience all the main attractions of the legendary Ring Road with the freedom to go at your own pace and enjoy your pre-booked choice of hotels. Popular vistas include natural wonders like the Jökulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, Lake Myvatn and all the famous sights along the Golden Circle. Explore Thingvellir National Park with its ancient Viking history, along with an amazing variety in Iceland's landscape.
May 1 - September 30, 2020
May 1 - September 30, 2020
- Rates are based on Quality class
- from $1,865 per person, based on 4 persons in 2 double rooms
- from $2,355 per person, based on 3 persons in 1 double room + 1 single room
- from $2,125 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- Rates are based on Comfort class
- from $1,655 per person, based on 4 persons in 2 double rooms
- from $2,045 per person, based on 3 persons in 1 double room + 1 single room
- from $1,899 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- Car category 2.0, Toyota Auris or similar
- Children 2-11 years old: USD 83 per night. Add the total to the rate for 2 adults in car.
- Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults
Rates in USD, per person in double room, Quality and Comfort class
Rental car for 8 days. Types of car recommended: Group 2.0 or higher
- Accommodation for 8 nights, choice of Quality or Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 8 days
- Types of Car recommended: car cat 2.0 or higher
- CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, GPS system, theft protection
- Free GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- 24-hour Iceland Travel emergency line assistance while you are in Iceland
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion, including:
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- A map view of your entire trip
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- Detailed Travel Booklet – Electronic version in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Service fee and taxes
- International airfare
- Breakfast on arrival day
- Meals other than mentioned
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted
- Tolls (tunnels, roads and other route tolls), unless specified
- Optional tours and activities
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland starts between 14:00 and 16:00
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Types of Car recommended: 2.0 or higher.
- You must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car category 5.0 or higher.
- Please note that the package price is based on 7 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 9 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 8 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
Our Quality Class self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Stay in quality guesthouses and hotels, all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
Our Comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Stay in quality hotels and guesthouses, all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
Car types in Iceland
Driving in Iceland
- Add on Activity bundle: The Adventurer, The Discoverer, The Navigator, The Anthropologist, The Hot Spring Specialist
- Higher car categories available
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Visit to the Blue Lagoon
Day 1 ARRIVAL KEFLAVIK - HVERAGERDI
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate mileage: 100 km / 62 miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience. From Keflavik International Airport we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. The village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and because of its many greenhouses, heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the "flower village".
Depending on your arrival time in Iceland it is ideal to visit the renowned Blue Lagoon to relax in the geothermal water. Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
Highlights: Reykjavik | Hallgrimskirkja | Solar Voyager | Perlan | National Museum
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Day 2 THINGVELLIR NATIONAL PARK - GULLFOSS - SOUTH SHORE (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Exploding Geysers - Puffin Colony - Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore
Approximate mileage: 392 km / 244 mi
Today's highlights include the geologically and historically significant Thingvellir National Park, the spectacular Gullfoss waterfall, and the famous Geysir hot spring area. Drive along the south shore, viewing Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls, the black sand beaches around Vik, and Myrdalsjökull glacier. Overnight in the Vik area.
Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Highlights: Thingvellir | Gullfoss | Geysir | Geysir Center | Eyjafjallajökull | Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Dyrholaey
Optional: Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjökull Glacier (from Basecamp) | Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths - Entrance fee
Day 3 SKAFTAFELL - GLACIAL LAGOON - HÖFN (B)
Lava Fields - Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier
Approximate mileage: 270 km / 168 miles
Drive through the village of Kirkjubaejarklaustur, site of a medieval convent. Explore Skaftafell, a green oasis nestled below the great Vatnajökull glacier. Skaftafell is part of Vatnajökull National Park, the largest of its type in Western Europe.
Continue across black sand plains created by glacial activity. Stop at the amazing Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, a filming location for many Hollywood blockbusters. Then head onwards to the charming harbor town Höfn, also known as the lobster capital of northern Europe. Overnight in the Hornafjördur area.
Highlights: Jökulsarlon | Skaftafell National Park | Vatnajökull | Höfn
Optional: Glacier Wonders (from Skaftafell in Vatnajökull National Park) | Amphibian Boat Tour on Glacial Lagoon (from the lagoon)
Day 4 HÖFN - EAST FJORDS - EGILSTADIR (B)
Narrow Fjords – Steep Mountains – Picturesque Coastline – Legendary Lake Monster
Approximate mileage: 265 km / 165 mi
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive from Höfn through Almannaskard pass, stopping to admire the majestic coastline. Continue to the towering mountains plunging vertically into the sea that form the magnificent East Fjords. You'll also pass villages, each with its own special history and charm. The road brings you to Egilsstadir town, located near Iceland’s largest forest and a lake said to be home to a legendary (friendly) monster. The area is also getting a name for itself for its excellent locally sourced cuisine. If you have time in your schedule, we suggest a visit to the Wilderness Center, a living history experience where you can enjoy an interactive exhibit and excellent locally sourced meals. Overnight in the Egilsstadir area.
Highlights: Skrudur Island | Djupivogur | Reydarfjördur | Egilsstadir
Day 5 DETTIFOSS - HUSAVIK - MYVATN (B)
Highland Desert – Bizarre Lava Formations – Geothermal & Volcanic Winter Wonderland
Approximate mileage: 255 km / 185 mi
Breakfast at your hotel. Explore the empty vastness of the highland desert plateau Modrudalsoraefi as you head towards the Lake Myvatn area. On the way, stop at Dettifoss, Europe's largest and most powerful waterfall. Continue onwards to Namaskard pass with its boiling mud pools and vibrant colors. Explore the natural beauty of the Lake Myvatn area, including the pseudo craters at Skutustadir and the Laxa Salmon River. Overnight in the Myvatn area.
Day 6 LAKE MYVATN - AKUREYRI - GODAFOSS (B)
Waterfall "Of the Gods"- The Capital of North Iceland
Approximate mileage: 215 km / 134 mi
Breakfast at your hotel. Start the day by exploring the peculiar lava formations at Dimmuborgir. Visit the magnificent Godafoss waterfall, where you can walk on paths giving you different views of the water. Afterwards, visit Akureyri, the colorful northern "capital" of Iceland. The town has charming buildings and a beautiful view of the Eyjafjördur Fjord. After spending some time in Akureyri, continue along the coastal roads of Eyjafjördur and the Troll Peninsula. This is a breath-taking drive along steep mountains with amazing views over the Arctic Sea and black sand coastline.
The destination is Siglufjördur, set in a beautiful fjord of the same name. This town has some of the finest timber buildings in the country, beautifully restored to their original glory. Siglufjördur is a very picturesque town. Depending on when you arrive in town, we suggest a visit to Siglufjördur's award-winning Herring-Era Museum. The museum recreates the atmosphere of the early 20th century, when Siglufjördur was transformed into a frontier boom town, thanks to a large migration of herring. Overnight in Siglufjördur.
Please Note: The Ring Road route today contains a toll tunnel.
Highlights: Myvatn | Dimmuborgir | Krafla | Godafoss
Day 7 SKAGAFJÖRDUR - BORGARNES (B)
Icelandic History and Horses – Fertile Farmlands – Glacial Rivers
Approximate mileage: 310km / 193mi
Breakfast at your hotel. Afterwards, head along majestic mountains and narrow passes to Skagafjördur, considered to be one of the finest places in Iceland for horse breeding. A great place to learn more about Icelandic horses is the Icelandic Horse History Exhibit at Holar University College. Holar was one of Iceland's cultural centers and has buildings from nine centuries of Iceland's history that you can visit.
Continue towards the village of Blonduos, built on both sides of the river Blanda.
The town of Hvammstangi's Seal Center is a great place to learn about seals and perhaps join a guided excursion to look for seals by boat.
Cross the Holtavorduheidi plateau through Borgarfjördur to the beautiful town of Borgarnes. Overnight in the Borgarnes area.
Day 8 BORGARFJÖRDUR - THINGVELLIR - REYKJAVIK (B)
Europe's Largest Hot Spring – Picturesque Waterfalls – National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO)
Approximate distance: 205km / 127mi
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive to Deildartunguhver, the most powerful hot spring in Europe. The nearby Krauma Natura Hot Spring Spa is a great place to enjoy a refreshing morning bath surrounded by gorgeous landscapes.
Stop to admire the beautiful Hraunfossar waterfalls before continuing via Hvalfjördur fjord to Lake Thingvallavatn, Iceland's largest lake and Thingvellir National Park. This UNESCO heritage site is where the world‘s oldest continuing parliamentary government was founded in the 10th century. It is also the place where the North American and European tectonic plates meet.
After your visit here, head on to Reykjavik, Iceland's culturally vibrant capital city. Enjoy exploring the city's many dining options. During the summer you can also enjoy late afternoon and evening activities such as a visit to Wonders of Iceland or FlyOver Iceland or a whale watching tour. Overnight stay in Reykjavik.
Day 9 REYKJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Approximate distance: 52 km / 32 mi
Return to Keflavik International Airport. **
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive back to Keflavik International Airport. ** We recommend departing your hotel in Reykjavik no later than at least 3 hours before your flight departure. It takes approximately 1 hour to drive to the airport, and check-in will start 2 hours before your departure.
If you did not visit the Blue Lagoon earlier but have some free time today, you might want to use the opportunity en route to the airport. For this detour, please be sure to allow for at least 2-2,5 hours extra so you'll have ample time at the lagoon. Your rental car should be returned to the airport service area, which is located only 2 minutes from the airport building. A shuttle will then transport you to the departure hall.
**Please note that the package price is based on 8 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 9, an additional supplement will be charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 8-day rental is up and use our Airport Direct Transfer.