Self Drive Tour and Northern LightsIceland
From $1,035 USD
October 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019
4 Days / 3 Nights
Glacial Adventure 6-day self-drive to natural wonders of South and Southwest Iceland, glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls, geothermal hot springs and auroras.
Our Glacial Adventure 6-day self-drive tour lets you experience the natural wonders of South and Southwest Iceland - glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls, geothermal hot springs, Northern Lights and more. Follow Iceland's dramatic coastline through an active volcanic zone, passing black-sand beaches, snow-capped mountains, National Parks, thundering waterfalls, and spouting geysers along the Golden Circle. You might witness a magical showing of the Aurora.
October 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019
Daily, October 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019
- Our prices are quoted for Comfort Class*
- Car type 1.3, Suzuki Swift 4WD or similar
- from $1,035 per person, based on 4 adults
- from $1,245 per person, based on 3 adults
- from $1,165 per person, based on 2 adults
- from $1,995 single, based on 1 adult
- Higher car categories available, please request
*Our comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- 2 nights in Reykjavik, including breakfast
- 3 nights in countryside hotels
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 5 days
- Unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT
- GPS system with car and an additional authorized driver
- Car pick-up/drop-off at Keflavik International airport
- Airport Service Charge
- Emergency phone line open 24 hours
- SIM card worth ISK 2000: unlimited minutes of local calls + 1GB of data. Standard, Micro and Nano cards available. Please check with your service provider to make sure that your phone is unlocked before arrival in Iceland (only until 30.April 2018).
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion, including:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
- Safety guidelines, apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- Useful information, including detailed descriptions of confirmed hotels and a GPS road guide to each hotel
- Map view of the Iceland road trip
- Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- International airfare & Airport taxes
- Breakfast on arrival day
- Personal travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Admissions and activities
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 14:00
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- $25 Service fee
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher.
- Above prices are based on Comfort self-drive holidays
- The included SIM card does not function with locked phones. To find out if your phone is locked, please check with your service provider.
- The package price is based on 5 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 6, an additional supplement will charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 5 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Optional excursions
- Higher category car
- Activity bundle: Explorer self-drive
Day 1 ARRIVAL ICELAND - REYKJAVIK
Arrival in Iceland - The world's northernmost capital city
Once you have landed at Keflavik Airport in Iceland, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel in Reykjavik. The rest of the day is yours to rest and to enjoy at your own leisure. Overnight in 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
Approximate distance: 100km / 62miles
Day 2 THINGVELLIR - GEYSIR - GULLFOSS (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Explosive Geysers - The Famous Golden Falls
Head for the UNESCO-listed Thingvellir National Park, where the world's oldest parliament met for centuries on the shores of Iceland's largest lake. Then drive to the village of Laugarvatn and continue through farmland areas to the geothermal fields of Geysir, with bubbling mud pools and the regularly erupting Strokkur geyser. Then visit the dramatic, two-tiered Gullfoss waterfall, a spectacular sight in winter when frozen mid-cascade. Overnight in Hella/Hvolsvollur.
Approximate distance: 200km / 125mi
Highlights: Geysir | Gullfoss | Thingvellir
Day 3 SOUTH SHORE - EYJAFJALLAJOKULL (B)
Waterfalls - Volcanic Aftermath - Black-Sand Beaches
Spend this day exploring the region close to the towering strato-volcano Eyjafjallajokull, which is possibly the most famous volcano in the world today.
Driving along the south shore you can also visit the spectacular waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Then continue onwards to Reynisfjara beach and its striking black sands, viewing the extraordinary rock formations and thundering waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Overnight in Hofn.
Approximate distance: 365km / 225mi
Highlights: Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Eyjafjallajokull | Reynisdrangar Cliffs | Vik
Day 4 SKAFTAFELL - JOKULSARLON GLACIAL LAGOON (B)
Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier
Today you will be in the southern area of Vatnajokull National Park, the largest of its kind in Western Europe. It’s dominated by the Vatnajokull glacier, Europe's largest ice cap. The park’s glacier-ringed Skaftafell area is an outstanding area of natural beauty with great winter hiking opportunities. It´s also possible to book a guided tour hiking on one the glaciers here.
Continue to the photogenic Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, where you can enjoy the breathtaking sight of floating, blue-tinted icebergs on this 180-meter (591 foot) deep glacial lagoon. Overnight at Kirkjubaejarklaustur area.
Approximate distance: 200km / 125mi
Highlights: Skaftafell National Park | Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon
Day 5 HVERGERDI - BLUE LAGOON - REYKJAVIK (B)
Greenhouse Village - Geo Park - Geothermal Lagoon
Head towards the village of Hveragerdi, which is one of the few communities in the world located directly on top of an active geothermal area. Hveragerdi is often called ‘the flower village’ because of its many greenhouses that are heated by hot water from nearby springs. Continue snaking along the coast, with its breathtaking sea waves.
On to the Reykjanes peninsula, a UNESCO Geopark with many intriguing geological wonders, such as Krysuvik geothermal area. You can also opt to enjoy a relaxing soak in the famous Blue Lagoon, a unique wonder of nature with pleasantly warm and mineral-rich geothermal water located in a middle of a black lava field. (Please note that admission to the Blue Lagoon must be booked in advance). Return to Reykjavik for overnight stay.
Approximate distance: 249km / 155mi
Highlights: Hveragerdi Hot Spring | Reykjanes | The Blue Lagoon
Day 6 DEPARTURE REYKJAVIK (B)
Return to Keflavik International Airport.
We recommend departing the hotel approximately 3 hours prior to the departure of your international flight.
**Please note that the package price is based on 5 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 6, an additional supplement will be charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 5-day rental is up and use our Flybus plus departure transfer.
Please note: The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings can not be guaranteed.