From $1,375 USD
October 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019
6 Days / 5 Nights
Discover South Iceland's hidden powers of icebergs, hot springs and volcanoes. Enjoy Eyjafjallajökull Volcano, Glacial Lagoon and hunt for Northern Lights.
Discover South Iceland's raw natural wonders on this escorted 6-day coach tour. Icebergs, hot springs and volcanoes dominate the islands beautiful, yet rugged landscape. Experience the hidden powers of nature, enjoy views of the notorious Eyjafjallajökull volcano and the breathtaking Glacial Lagoon. With several nights in stunning rural locations, you'll be perfectly situated to hunt for the magical Northern Lights dancing over the clear Arctic sky.
October 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019
English departures 2018
November 1, 6, 8, 13, 15, 22, 29
December 6, 11, 13
English departures 2019
January 8, 10, 17, 22, 31
February 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 28
March 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 28
April 2, 4
- Prices quoted are for Comfort Class
- November 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019
- from $1,495 per person in double room
- from $1,895 single room
- Prices quoted are for Economy Class
- Nov 8, Dec 13, 2018 / Feb 7, Mar 7 & 14, 2019
- from $1,375 per person in double room
- from $1,775 single room
We're happy to announce that due to recent favorable exchange rates the prices for our great Winter 2018-2019
have been lowered!
New prices are valid from 14 November 2018 and do not apply to bookings made before this date.
- 2 nights Hotel in Reykjavik
- 3 nights at countryside hotels
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- 3 x *One-course dinners with coffee/tea (days 2, 3, 4)
- Guided coach tour from day 2 to day 5
- Entrance fee to the Northern Lights Centre in Reykjavik
- Entrance to Laugarvatnshellir, The Cave People
- Entrance to the new Lava Center
- Volcano film at the Lava Center’s Cinema (day 3)
- Northern Lights hunt kit on Day 3 or 4 (flashlight, blanket & hot drink)
- Northern Lights guided hunt on foot, one selected evening
- Blue Lagoon admission, including towel rental, silica mud mask and one drink (day 5)
- *Option available at booking time to add dessert course to the dinners
- Added value: Northern Lights "wake-up call" option during the night on days 2-4 (available at most countryside hotels)
- International flights & Airport taxes
- Round-trip transfers between airports and hotels
- Breakfast on arrival day
- Meals (other then listed above)
- Swimsuit at the Blue Lagoon (can be rented on site)
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 14:00)
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- $25 Service fee
- All departures guaranteed with minimum of 2 persons.
- Maximum group size: 36 participants
- Please note that northern lights are dependent on weather conditions. Sightings cannot be guaranteed.
- Please inquire about our special air fares on Icelandair, offering direct flights from Seattle!
- Airport transfers with Flybus
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Add dessert course to the above dinners, $ 40 p.p. Must be booked in advance
Day 1 ARRIVAL REYKJAVIK
Important: If you have added extra nights in Reykjavik before your tour, the guide will meet your group for the start of the tour on Day 2 according to the standard "Hidden Powers and Northern Lights" itinerary.
Individual arrival in Iceland. Overnight stay in Reykjavik. Airport transfer not included, but we are happy to help you arrange shared or private transfers.
Optional: Airport transfer with Flybus Plus
Highlights: Reykjavik | Hallgrimskirkja | Tjornin | National Gallery | The Sun Voyager | Perlan | Parliament House
Day 2 THINGVELLIR - GEYSIR - GULLFOSS (B, D)
Northern Lights Centre - National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Exploding Geysers - The Famous Golden Falls
Start the day by visiting the recently opened and fascinating Northern Lights Center in Reykjavik for an exciting and informative presentation on the Northern Lights.
Onwards to Thingvellir National Park (UNESCO) where the world's oldest parliament met for centuries on the shores of Iceland's largest lake. Drive to Laugarvatn Fontana where we experience a geothermal bakery first hand and dig up bread that has been cooked underground. Sample the delicious bread, served hot from the ground and slathered with fresh Icelandic butter.
Continue through farmland areas to the geothermal fields of Geysir with bubbling mud pools and the high-spouting Strokkur hot spring. Last but not least, visit the dramatic two-tiered Gullfoss waterfall, a spectacular sight in winter when frozen mid-cascade.
Stop at Skalholt, Iceland’s capital during the Middle Ages and now a culture center with a beautiful church. During the day you will also visit Laugarvatnshellir cave where two Icelandic families built a cozy homestead and farm during the early 20th century. The furnishings and buildings in the cave has been restored to show how the residents once lived. Dinner and overnight in the south coast area. Approximate distance: 150km / 93mi
Icelandair Hotel Fludir**** or
Highlights: Gullfoss | Geysir | Thingvellir
Day 3 SOUTH SHORE - EYJAFJALLAJÖKULL VOLCANO (B)
Waterfalls - Lava Center - Glacial Views - Black Sand Beaches
Drive along the south shore, an area of Iceland that is beautiful to view in the winter. This is one of the main farm regions of the country, and the road will pass by typical Icelandic farms, often with Icelandic horses in the fields.
This part of Iceland is home to the new Lava Center, an interactive, high-tech educational exhibition depicting volcanic activity, earthquakes and the creation of Iceland over millions of years.
Stop at the spectacular waterfalls Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Head onwards, passing by Myrdalsjökull Glacier, to visit Reynisfjara beach. Take a walk on the black sands, and admire the extraordinary rock formations and thundering waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Dinner and overnight stay in Kirkjubaejarklaustur area. Approximate distance: 229km / 143mi
Highlights: Eyjafjallajökull | Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Vik
Day 4 SKAFTAFELL NATIONAL PARK - JÖKULSARLON GLACIAL LAGOON (B)
Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier
Today enter the southern area of Vatnajökull National Park, named after Europe's largest glacier. This National Park is also the largest one in Western Europe. Drive through vast sand plains created by glacial outwashes as you head east en route to the Vanajökull area.
Visit Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon where you can enjoy a breath-taking sight of icebergs floating in the fantastic 180m (591 ft.) deep glacial lagoon. Then view Svinafellsjökull, one of the most beautiful of the glacial outlets emerging from Vatnajökull.
Visit the National Park's famous Skaftafell area, a site of outstanding natural beauty dominated by Vatnajökull glacier. Return to the hotel for dinner and overnight. Approximate distance: 255km / 158mi
Highlights: Skaftafell National Park | Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon
Day 5 HVERAGERDI - BLUE LAGOON - REYKJAVIK (B)
Greenhouse Village - Thundering waves - Geothermal Lagoon
Head towards the village of Hveragerdi, which is one of the few sites in the world located directly in the middle of a geothermal area. Hveragerdi is often called "The Flower Village" because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs.
The tour then continues to Strandarkirkja, a church that is widely believed to have special power to aid success or provide good luck. Follow along the coastline with its breathtaking waves and through a deserted community that once was a flourishing center for the region.
On to the Reykjanes peninsula, where you can enjoy a dip in the famous Blue Lagoon, a unique wonder of nature with pleasantly warm, mineral-rich water in the middle of a black lava field. Return to Reykjavik, where the evening is at your own leisure. Dinner is on your own. Approximate distance: 348km / 217mi
Highlights: Hveragerdi | The Blue Lagoon | Reykjanes
Day 6 DEPARTURE REYKJAVIK (B)
After breakfast check-out and departure. Transfer to the international airport (not included, but we are happy to help you arrange shared or private transfers. We recommend you depart your hotel no later than three hours before your departure flight).
Highlights: Reykjavik | Reykjavik City Museum | Kjarvalsstadir | National Museum | Laugardalur