Self Drive TourIceland
From $2,415 USD
June 20 - September 15, 2018
9 Days / 8 Nights
Highlands and Lowlands self-drive along the Ring Road, off the beaten path of Iceland's highland tracks, Kjölur and Landmannalaugar and National parks.
Highlands and Lowlands, 9-day self-drive tour along the Ring Road, off the beaten path on two Iceland highland tracks, Kjölur and Landmannalaugar, offering breathtaking views of Iceland's wilderness landscape. From Akureyri to the mighty Dettifoss and Lake Myvatn, from the fishing village of Husavik to Jökulsargljufur National Park. Visit Vatnajökull National Park, Europe's largest glacier, Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon and swim in a natural warm pool.
June 20 - September 15, 2018
Daily, June 20 - September 15, 2018
- Our Rates quoted are based on Comfort class
- from $2,415 per person, based on 4 persons traveling together, 2 x double rooms
- from $2,925 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- Rates are based on Comfort class and category 5.0 car
- May and September departures are offered at 20% discount
- June 1 – 14 & August 22 – 31, 2018 are offered with a 10% discount
- Accommodation for 8 nights, Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 8 days
- CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, and theft protection
- Free GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport International Airport
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion, including:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- Detailed description of the customer's journey, including hotel itinerary and GPS road guide to each hotel
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- International flights / airport taxes
- Meals and beverages
- Optional tours and activities
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- $25 service fee
- Types of car recommended: No. 5.0 (Medium 4wd) and higher.
- *Please note that the package price is based on 8 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 9 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 8 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
- Our Comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- Tour also available as Economy class and Budget class.
DAY 1 ARRIVAL KEFLAVIK - HVERAGERDI
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower Village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate mileage: 100 km / 62 miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience. From Keflavik International Airport we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs it is often called the "flower village".
If your flight is early, you might consider stopping along the way at the Blue Lagoon for a relaxing swim in the geothermal mineral waters. Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
Highlights: Reykjavik | Hallgrimskirkja | Tjornin | Parliament House | Laugardalur | Reykjavik City Museum
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Important: Please note that Blue Lagoon admission must be booked in advance.
DAY 2 THINGVELLIR - GULLFOSS - GEYSIR (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Exploding Geysers - Massive Waterfall
Approximate mileage: 240 km / 150 miles
Drive from Hveragerdi to Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic parliament and a jewel of nature. The park offers a stunning volcanic landscape of mountains and lava flows. Visit the geothermal area of Geysir and Gullfoss waterfall. Overnight in Golden Circle area.
Highlights: Thingvellir | Gullfoss | Geysir
Optional: Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths - Entrance fee
DAY 3 KJÖLUR - HVERAVELLIR - SKAGAFJÖRDUR (B)
Wilderness Interior - Highland Geothermal Area - Natural Bathing Pool - Viking Horses - Glacial Rivers
Approximate mileage: 230 km / 143 miles
Today's route leads over the historical highland track Kjölur (car category 5.0 or higher required; track open from mid-June to mid-September). Drive this track through the colorful thermal area Hveravellir between the glaciers Langjökull and Hofsjökull. As you drive, you'll see the same landscapes that Vikings and outlaws saw in the old days. The trail emerges into the horse breeding valley of Skagafjördur fjord and its glacial rivers. Overnight in North Iceland
Highlights: Hveravellir | Kjölur
DAY 4 AKUREYRI - LAKE MYVATN - GODAFOSS (B)
Akureyri - Waterfall "Of the Gods" - Bizarre Lava Formations - Geothermal Activity - Rich Birdlife
Approximate mileage: 190 km / 118 miles
Drive to Akureyri, the "capital of the north". Stop at the lovely Godafoss waterfall before driving to the intriguing Lake Myvatn area. The natural wonders of Lake Myvatn area include the unique lava formations of Dimmuborgir, Krafla volcanic area, and the pseudo craters at Skutustadir. Overnight in North Iceland.
Highlights: Akureyri | Myvatn | Godafoss | Dimmuborgir | Krafla | Myvatn Nature Baths
DAY 5 HUSAVIK - DETTIFOSS - EGILSSTADIR (B)
Whale Watching - Glacier Carved Gorge - Europe's Most Powerful Waterfall
Approximate mileage: 320 km / 199 miles
From Lake Myvatn you drive around Tjornes peninsula. Travel through the fishing village of Husavik to Jökulsargljufur National Park, including the impressive horseshoe-shaped Asbyrgi canyon and the mighty Dettifoss waterfall. Continue east to Egilsstadir. Overnight in East Iceland.
Highlights: Dettifoss | Jökulsargljufur National Park | Husavik | Asbyrgi
DAY 6 EAST FJORDS - HÖFN (B)
Narrow Fjords - Steep Mountains - Picturesque Coastline - Mineral Collection
Approximate mileage: 300 km / 186 miles
Drive south through the spectacular coast line of the East Fjords with charming fishing villages and towering mountains that plunge vertically into the sea. Remember to give yourself plenty of time to drive carefully and enjoy the amazing scenery. One of these is the Almannaskard pass, which offers a striking view of Vatnajökull glacier and the coastal area.
Highlights: Egilsstadir | Skriduklaustur | Hallormsstadur | The Wilderness Center
DAY 7 JÖKULSARLON GLACIAL LAGOON - KIRKJUBAEJARKLAUSTUR (B)
Europe's Largest Glacier - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Glacier-Ringed Green Oasis
Approximate mileage: 220 km / 137 miles
Today you will be in the vicinity of Vatnajökull National Park named after Europe's largest glacier. Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon by Vatnajökull glacier offers a beautiful view of the glacier, and the floating icebergs will leave a deep impression on you.
Head onwards to the park's Skaftafell area, an ice-ringed green oasis with various hiking possibilities. Get closer to the beauty with an optional ice hiking tour on one of Vatnajökull's glacial tongues. Continue along the south coast for an overnight stay. Overnight in South Iceland.
Highlights: Jökulsarlon | Vatnajökull | Skaftafell National Park
Optional: Amphibian Boat Tour on Glacial Lagoon (from the lagoon) | Glacier Wonders (from Skaftafell National Park)
DAY 8 LANDMANNALAUGAR - REYKJAVIK (B)
Multicolored Mountains of the Highlands - Lava Fields - Hot Spring Bathing - Hekla Volcano
Approximate mileage: 240 km /149 miles
Travel along the Fjallabaksleid highland interior track. Cross several unbridged rivers to Landmannalaugar, a magnificent area surrounded by colorful rhyolite mountains, with the option of bathing in a natural warm pool (do not forget to bring a swimsuit).
Throughout the day you'll enjoy views of the towering Hekla, Iceland's most frequently erupting volcano. Explore the ever changing scenery of Thjorsardalur, a valley sculpted by Hekla's past eruptions, before heading back to Reykjavik. Overnight in Reykjavik.
Note: If you prefer not to visit Landmannalaugar, you can continue along the south shore exploring black sand beaches, bird colonies, towering waterfalls and crossing fertile farmlands towards Reykjavik.
Highlights: Landmannalaugar | Hekla | Thjorsardalur
Optional: Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjökull Glacier (from Basecamp)
Day 9 REYKJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Approximate distance: 52 km / 32 miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport, if you did not have time to do it on you arrival day.*
*Please note that the package price is based on 8x24 hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 9 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 8 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
Highlights: Reykjavik | The Blue Lagoon
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras