Self Drive TourIceland
From $799 USD
May 1 - September 30, 2019
4 Days / 3 Nights
Self-drive Iceland Highlights short stopover, visit the Golden Circle wonders of Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss Waterfall and Geysir hot springs.
Self-drive Iceland Highlights, a short getaway holiday for your short stopover. Even if you have only a few days in Iceland, you can still experience the Iceland’s amazing scenery and natural wonders! Visit the world-famous Golden Circle wonders of Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss Waterfall and the high-energy Geysir hot springs. Explore the volcanic and glacial landscape of the South Shore, its waterfalls, black sand beaches and glacial views.
May 1 - September 30, 2019
Daily, May 1 - September 30, 2019
- Our prices are quoted for Comfort Class*
- Car type 1.0, Toyota Yaris or similar
- from $799 per person, based on 4 adults in 2 double rooms
- from $999 per person, based on 3 adults in 1 double + 1 single room
- from $899 per person, based on 2 adults in 1 double room
*Our comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Throughout the tour you'll stay in quality hotels and guesthouses where all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
- Accommodation in a standard room for 3 nights
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 3 days
- Unlimited mileage, CDW, theft protection and VAT
- FREE GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up/drop-off at Keflavik International Airport
- Tablet with a new app called Iceland Travel Companion App
- The app includes:
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion (picked up at Keflavik airport with your car rental)
- The app includes:
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- A map view of your entire trip
- Thousands of points of interest with descriptions clearly displayed on your map
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- GPS Road Guide in several different languages
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- Detailed Travel Booklet – Electronic version in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Customer care service during office hours
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
**Please note that the package price is based on 3 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 4 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 3 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
- International flights
- Fuel expenses
- Meals other than breakfast
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Optional activities/excursions/admissions
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 14:00 (2:00pm)
- Guaranteed late check-out
- $25 service fee
- Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car cat. 5.0 or higher
- The tour might be altered depending on your flight schedule and hotel availability. Northern Lights season is from beginning of September to Mid April
- Rates are based on Comfort self-drive holidays
- Higher car category available, please request
- International flights
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Optional Activity Bundle: The Discoverer
Day 1 ARRIVAL IN ICELAND
Approximate distance: 50km / 31mi
Once you have landed at Keflavík Aiport, please pick up your luggage and head through customs. Collect your rental car at the airport and proceed to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time in Iceland, it may be ideal to stop and visit the renowned Blue Lagoon where you can relax in its geothermal waters.
Important: admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance. We can help you with that!
May – September: Drive along the southern coast of the Reykjanes Peninsula to the charming village of Hveragerdi for your overnight. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and, because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the "flower village". There are plenty of outdoor and wellness activities to enjoy here, and several restaurants with a unique local focus. (Approximate distance: 100km / 62mi)
Please note check-in for most hotels begins at 14:00 – 16:00 (2:00pm-4:00pm)
Highlights: Keflavik | The Blue Lagoon | Reykjavik
Optional: Airport transfer: Arrival via Blue Lagoon | Arrival Airport Transfer with Flybus
Day 2 SOUTH SHORE - WATERFALLS - VIK (B)
Approximate distance: 190km / 118mi
Thundering Waterfalls - Cliffs & Stone Arches - Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore
Breakfast at your hotel. Drive along the scenic South Shore and the area near the infamous Eyjafjallajökull volcano. This is the volcano whose massive 2010 eruption caused air traffic around the world to be cancelled We recommend a stop at the interactive Lava Center where you’ll learn about the powerful volcanic and tectonic forces that shaped both Iceland and Earth. The center has interesting exhibits for all age groups.
Your journey takes you by the beautiful Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls (each one worth visiting) and Myrdalsjökull glacier. You can opt for a fun snowmobiling trip on the glacier and (if the weather is clear) a splendid view over southern Iceland. Stop by the seafront village of Vik to explore a dramatic stretch of coastline poised between glacier-topped mountains, rugged sea cliffs and black- sand beaches. Dyrholaey* is a rocky headland famous in photos for its black lava arch. During the summer, thousands of sea birds and puffins nest here (puffins are generally in Iceland between mid-May and early August). Overnight in South Iceland
*Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Highlights: Skogafoss | Seljalandsfoss | Myrdalsjökull
Day 3 GOLDEN CIRCLE - GULLFOSS - GEYSIR - THINGVELLIR (B)
Approximate distance: 290km / 180mi
Thundering Waterfalls - Exploding Geysers - National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO)
Breakfast at your hotel. Enjoy a day visiting the natural wonders of the Golden Circle region. Gullfoss is considered by many visitors to be Iceland’s most beautiful waterfalls. Geysir is an active geothermal field with many bubbling steam vents and spouting hot springs, including the famous Strokkur geyser. Visit Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic Viking parliament and a jewel of nature. Here you can see the meeting point between the North American and Europe continents. Many important historical events happened here. Several walking trails and hiking trails take visitors to historical points of interest.
This area is full of geothermal activity, and that means hot spring relaxation! We recommend taking a break during the day to relax in a hot spring pool. Two of our favorite spots are the Fontana Steam Baths in Laugarvatn or the Secret Lagoon in Fludir. Both places are a unique part of the area’s history and popular with Icelanders and visitors. A visit to either pool (or both) will be a great way to connect with Iceland’s wellness-focused culture. We're happy to book a visit for you!
Return to Reykjavik to enjoy the city's atmosphere for your final night in Iceland. Overnight in Reykjavik.
Highlights: Eyjafjallajökull | Geysir | Gullfoss | Thingvellir
Day 4 DEPARTURE REYKJAVIK (B)
Approximate distance: 50km / 30mi
Breakfast at your hotel. Drop off your car at the airport before your flight home. We recommend departing the hotel approximately 3 hours prior to the departure of your international flight.
If you did not visit the Blue Lagoon on your way to the city on your first day but have some free time today, you might want to use the opportunity en route to the airport. For this detour, please be sure to allow for at least 2-2,5 hours extra so you’ll have ample time at the lagoon. Your rental car should be returned to the airport service area, which is located only 2 minutes from the airport building. A shuttle will then transport you to the departure hall.
**Please note that the package price is based on 3 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 4, an additional supplement will be charged unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik on day 3 when the day rental is up and use our FlyBus plus departure transfer.
Please note for September departures: The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings can not be guaranteed.
Highlights: Reykjanesbaer | Keflavik | The Blue Lagoon
Optional: Airport transfer: Blue Lagoon upon departure*
*Please note: Reservation for the blue Lagoon must be made in advance, at the time of booking your tour!