From $875 USD
October 10 - April 29, 2019
2 Days / 1 Nights
West Iceland’s magical winter countryside represents Iceland in miniature with glaciers, waterfalls, charming villages, powerful hot springs. Small group.
West Iceland’s magical winter countryside represents Iceland in miniature with glaciers, waterfalls, charming villages, powerful hot springs and a great local focus on food and crafts. Located not far from Reykjavik, the Borgarfjördur region's ever-changing scenery is a perfect way to get acquainted with powerful forces of fire and ice that created Iceland. Enjoy small group travel, meet locals and enjoy some tasty treats unique to the West Coast!
October 10 - April 29, 2019
Every Wednesday and Friday, October 10 - April 29, 2019
- from $875 per person in double room
- from $895 single room
We're happy to announce that due to recent favorable exchange rates the prices for our great Winter 2018-2019
have been lowered! New prices are valid from 14 November 2018 and do not apply to bookings made before this date.
- Tour pick-up and drop-off in Reykjavik
- 1 night at a countryside hotel with private bathrooms
- Breakfast on day 2
- Guided mini bus tour with expert driver-guide
- Admission to Vidgelmir Cave; guided tour and use of safety helmet & lamp (Day 1)
- Into the Glacier experience includes ride up glacier in special vehicle and
- guided visit to the glacier tunnel and ice cave (Day 2)
- Visit to Stedji microbrewery and sample of seasonal beer products (Day 2)
- International Airfare & airport taxes
- Accommodation in Reykjavik (we can arrange this for you upon request)
- Travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Baggage porterage at airport/hotel
- Round-trip transfers between airport and hotel
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Departures are guaranteed with minimum of 2 participants
- Maximum group size: 16 participants
- This tour does not include Pre- or Post hotel nights in Reykjavik
- Children 6-11 years old traveling with 2 adults and sharing 1 DBL room: 25% discount (valid only per 1 child)
- Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults
- It is not recommended that children 0-5 years old travel on scheduled tours.
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Relax at the Blue Lagoon
- Optional excursions
Day 1 REYKJAVIK - HRAUNFOSSAR - VIDGELMIR CAVE - REYKHOLT
Pick up for the tour between 08:00—08:30. Please be at your assigned pick-up location no later than 7:30, as your location may be one of the first for tour pick-up. (Check your confirmation information for pick up location details.)
Make sure that your phone number and e-mail are listed with Iceland Travel so we can contact you if needed.
Depart Reykjavik, heading via an undersea tunnel to Borgarfjördur Fjord inWest Iceland. This region is covered in ancient lava with rivers, hot springs, canyons and mini forests. One of the first areas to be settled by Vikings, it is an area rich in Saga history.
Stop at the Hraunfossar falls, where water flows through interesting lava formations. Nearby is the GeoCenter where your group will stop for lunch (Lunch not included). After lunch, head to Vidgelmir, one of the world's largest lava tube caves, situated beneath a vast lava field. Vidgelmir was created by a volcanic eruption approximately 1100 years ago. Thanks to a new walkway and lighting, you can easily and comfortably experience the cave’s enormous beauty. The lava formations and brilliant colours are unforgettable. You´ll be accompanied by certified caving guides who will share their knowledge about Vidgelmir.
Afterwards, Stop at Deildartunguhver where you can view rushing and churning hot springs, the most powerful of their kind in Europe. Nearby is the town of Reykholt, located at the former home of one of Iceland‘s most important (and unique) personalities. Snorri Sturluson was an ambitious 13th century chieftain and author of Icelandic sagas that are now world famous. You can still see the old stone-lined hot spring pool where he once bathed.
Afterwards head to your hotel for the night. Dinner is on your own at the hotel. If the weather conditions are right, you might be able to see the mesmerizing Northern Lights.
Dinner is on your own. Overnight in the Reykholt/Husafell area. Approximate distance: 185km / 115miles.
Highlights: Hraunfossar | Barnafoss | Husafell | Deildartunguhver
Optional: Optional visit to Krauma Hot Springs.
Day 2 REYKHOLT - HUSAFELL - LANGJÖKULL GLACIER - BORGARFJÖRDUR - BORGARNES - REYKJAVIK (B)
Breakfast at your hotel. Yesterday you experienced the power of fire and lava. Today you will experience the power of ice! Head into the vast highland wilderness dominated by Langjökull, Iceland's second largest glacier. Board a specially modified glacier truck that will bring you up the slopes of the glacier, towards the entry to the Into the Glacier ice tunnel and ice cave. This man-made experience is located in the heart of Langjökull where you can experience the hidden and beautiful blue ice. An expert guide will accompany you through the tunnels of the glacier, giving you information about the glacier's history and formation. You’ll also learn why Icelanders are so important to Iceland's geology.
Drive through the pretty landscape of the Borgarfjördur region, enjoying views of tiny forests, lava fields and mountains. Stop for a visit at Stedji microbrewery. Located on a family farm, the high quality Stedji brews excellent craft beer, including some unique flavours. Sample some for yourself and see how the beer is made at the brewery’s Guest Center.
Tour arrives in Reykjavik in the evening. The tour ends at the designated drop-off location (see your confirmation for details). Please note during the winter arrival times may vary based on the weather and road conditions. Approximate distance: 155km / 96miles.
Highlights: Borgarnes | Husafell