Explorer CruiseNorway and Spitsbergen
From $3,900 USD
May 29 - July 6, 2018
8 Days / 7 Nights
North Spitsbergen adventure voyage on the Ortelius and Plancius. Explore Spitsbergen, a true high-Arctic archipelago, land of Polar Bear and Midnight Sun.
Spitsbergen, land of Polar Bear and Midnight Sun, of fjords, ice and glaciers, offers some of the finest scenery and wildlife in the world. Onboard the m/v Plancius sail to Raudfjord, dominated by spectacular glaciers, reaching down to sea level, showing calving cliffs between rugged, sharp mountains. Witness enormous colonies of seabirds, enjoy the thrilling antics of whales; seals and walruses and encounter the king of the Arctic - the Polar Bear!
May 29 - July 6, 2018
Longyearbyen - Longyearbyen
OTL03 D S, May 29 - June 5, 7 nights
OTL04 G S, June 5 - June 12, 7 nights
OTL05 S, June 12 - June 19, 7 nights
OTL06 S, June 19 - June 26, 7 nights
Longyearbyen - Longyearbyen
PLA04 B S, June 4 - June 11, 7 nights
PLA06 S, June 15 - June 22, 7 nights
PLA07, June 22 - June 29, 7 nights
PLA08 B, June 29 - July 6, 7 nights
- Quadruple Porthole
- Triple Porthole
- Twin Porthole
- Twin Window
- Twin Deluxe
m/v Plancius & Ortelius, Regular rates in USD, per person.
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- On Spitsbergen voyages: Transfers and baggage handling between the airport, hotels and ship only for those passengers on the group flights to and from Longyearbyen
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post land arrangements
- Transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended)
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- Customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)
- $25 Service fee
- The ice conditions will determine the sailing plan.
- All rates are quoted per person in US Dollar, based on twin occupancy. US Dollar rates apply for all sales outside Europe. 5% Discount will be granted for bookings for one or more consecutive voyages. Please note that all dates & rates are subject to change.
- All voyages will operate subject to a minimum of 70 participants on Plancius and on Ortelius.
- Snowshoe/hiking, including the use of snow shoes, Free of charge
- We are please to offer the Spitsbergen, 4th (Bradt Travel Guide) by Andreas Umbreit (Jul 15, 2009), $12.-
Day 1 ARRIVAL LONGYEARBYEN
Arrive in Longyearbyen, the administrative capital of the Spitsbergen archipelago of which West Spitsbergen is the largest island. Before embarking there is an opportunity to stroll around this former mining town, whose parish church and Polar Museum are well worth visiting.
In the surrounding area of Longyearbyen, more than 100 species of plants have been recorded. In the early evening the ship will sail out of Isfjorden, where in the mouth of the fjord we may see our first Minke Whale.
Day 2 RAUDFJORD
We sail to Raudfjord on the north coast of West Spitsbergen, a beautiful fjord dominated by spectacular glaciers and favored by Ringed and Bearded Seal. The cliffs and shoreline of the fjord also support thriving seabird colonies and a surprisingly rich vegetation, which flourishes in sheltered spots. Polar bear are often seen here.
Highlights of Day 2: Ringed and Bearded Seals | Polar Bears
Day 3 LIEFDEFJORDEN - ANDØYA
Depending on the weather we may now sail into Liefdefjorden, cruising near the 5km long face of the impressive Monaco Glacier. The waters of the glacier front are a favorite feeding spot for thousands of Kittiwake. Also Polar Bear have been seen on the glacier, providing wonderful opportunities for photography.
Highlights of Day 3: Pink-footed Goose | Monaco Glacier | Polar Bears
Day 4 HINLOPEN STRAIT - LOMFJORDSHALVØYA
Today we will sail into Hinlopen Strait, home to Bearded Seal, Ringed Seal, Polar Bear, and Ivory Gull. At the entrance there is the possibility to see Blue Whale. We'll navigate the ice floes of Lomfjordshalvøya in our zodiacs and explore the bird cliffs of Alkefjellet with thousands of Brünnich's Guillemot. On the east side of Hinlopenstrait, we'll attempt a landing at Palanderbukta on Nordaustlandet, home to reindeer, Pink-footed Goose, breeding Ivory Gull, and Walrus.
Highlights of Day 4: Bearded Seals | Ringed Seals | Polar Bears | Ivory Gulls
Day 5 SEVEN ISLANDS
We will try reach our northernmost point at Phippsøya, in the Seven Islands north of Nordaustlandet. Here we will be at 81 degrees north, just 540 miles from the geographic North Pole. Polar Bear inhabit this region, along with Ivory Gull. The ship may sit for several hours in the pack ice, before turning west again.
Highlights of Day 5: Just 540 miles from the geographic North Pole | Polar Bears | Pack ice
Day 6 PHIPPSØYA - KONGSFJORDEN
Retracing our route westwards, our route takes us through and along the pack ice, keeping watch for Polar Bear and the elusive Greenland Whale (Bowhead). About 40 nautical miles west of Spitsbergen we sail along the edge of the continental shelf, where Fin Whale forage in summer in the upwelling's along the Spitsbergen banks. At the mouth of the Kongsfjorden we have also good chances to see Minke Whale.
Highlights of Day 6: Greenland Whale (Bowhead Whale) | Sailing along the edge of the continental shelf | Fin Whales | Humpback Whales
Day 7 FORLANDSUNDET - LONGYEARBYEN
In Forlandsundet at Sarstangen is a haul out place for Walrus. Alternatively we sail into St. Johns Fjord or south to the mouth of Isfjorden and land at Alkhornet. Seabirds nest on its cliffs and Arctic Fox search the cliff base for fallen eggs and chicks, while Spitsbergen Reindeer graze the relatively luxuriant vegetation. At nighttime we arrive in Longyearbyen.
Highlights of Day 7: Harbor Seals | Remains of Polar Bear hunting era | Walrus
Day 8 LONGYEARBYEN - DISEMBARKATION
We disembark in Longyearbyen, the administrative center of Spitsbergen, for the flights south to Oslo and onward home.