Self Drive TourIceland
From $1,240 USD
May 1 - September 30, 2020
8 Days / 7 Nights
Ring Road Highlights, bestseller classic circle around Iceland's Geysir area, hot springs and National Parks. Explore the East fjords, Myvatn and Akureyri.
Ring Road tour to the west of Iceland, one of our self-drive bestsellers, includes the option of driving through the interior via Kjolur highland track, a mountain pass between two large glaciers. Discover Thingvellir National Park, a place of great geological and historical interest, the spectacular Gullfoss waterfall, Geyser hot springs with the spouting Strokkur, and Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, major attractions around Iceland's main ring road.
May 1 - September 30, 2020
May 1 - September 30, 2020
- Rates are based on Quality class
- from $1,345 per person, based on 4 persons in 2 double rooms
- from $1,645 per person, based on 3 persons in 1 double room + 1 single room
- from $1,560 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- Rates are based on Comfort class
- from $1,240 per person, based on 4 persons in 2 double rooms
- from $1,525 per person, based on 3 persons in 1 double room + 1 single room
- from $1,465 per person, based on 2 persons in double room
- Car category 5.0, Toyota Rav4, 4wd or similar
- Children 2-11 years old: USD 83 per night. Add the total to the rate for 2 adults in car.
- Children 12 years and older pay full price as adults
Rates in USD, per person in double room, Quality and Comfort class
Rental car for 7 days. Types of car recommended: Group 5 4wd and higher
- Accommodation for 7 nights, Quality or Comfort class
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- Rental car for 7 days
- Types of Car recommended: car cat 4.0 4wd or higher
- CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, GPS system, theft protection
- Free GPS system and no charges for an additional driver
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- 24-hour Iceland Travel emergency line assistance while you are in Iceland
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion
- The app includes:
- Your hotel bookings with check-in and check-out dates
- A map view of your entire trip
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- In-app purchase feature to book day tours or activities directly into the app
- Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
- Service fee and taxes
- International airfare
- Breakfast on arrival day
- Meals other than mentioned
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted
- Tolls (tunnels, roads and other route tolls), unless specified
- Optional tours and activities
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland starts between 14:00 and 16:00
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Types of Car recommended: 5.0 4wd or higher*.
- You must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car category 5.0 or higher.
- Please note that the package price is based on 7 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 8 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 7 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
Our Quality Class self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Stay in quality guesthouses and hotels, all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
Our comfort self-drive holidays allow you to spend your days exploring rural Iceland, knowing your nights will be spent in the most comfortable accommodation each area has to offer. Stay in quality hotels and guesthouses, all rooms have private facilities. Your final night will be in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
*Important information about Kjolur- Please note that a 4WD vehicle is needed for this unpaved mountain track- Car Category 5.0 or higher. The Kjolur track is generally open mid-June through August, openings subject to weather and road conditions.
- Add on Activity bundle: The Adventurer, The Discoverer, The Gourmand, The Hot Spring Specialist, The Navigator
- Higher car category
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Visit to the Blue Lagoon
Day 1 ARRIVAL KEFLAVIK - HVERAGERDI
Geothermal Lagoon - Flower village - Geothermal Greenhouses
Approximate mileage: 100 km / 62 miles
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience. From Keflavik International Airport we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. The village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and because of its many greenhouses, heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the "flower village".
Depending on your arrival time in Iceland it is ideal to visit the renowned Blue Lagoon to relax in the geothermal water. Overnight stay in Hveragerdi.
Highlights: Reykjavik | Hallgrimskirkja | Solar Voyager | Perlan | National Museum
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Day 2 THINGVELLIR NATIONAL PARK - GULLFOSS - SOUTH SHORE (B)
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) - Exploding Geysers - Puffin Colony - Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore
Approximate mileage: 392 km / 244 mi
Today's highlights include the geologically and historically significant Thingvellir National Park, the spectacular Gullfoss waterfall, and the famous Geysir hot spring area. Drive along the south shore, viewing Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls, the black sand beaches around Vik, and Myrdalsjökull glacier. Overnight in the Vik area.
Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Highlights: Thingvellir | Gullfoss | Geysir | Geysir Center | Eyjafjallajökull | Seljalandsfoss | Skogafoss | Dyrholaey
Optional: Snowmobiling on Myrdalsjökull Glacier (from Basecamp) | Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths - Entrance fee
Day 3 SKAFTAFELL - GLACIAL LAGOON - HÖFN (B)
Lava Fields - Europe's Largest National Park - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Europe's Largest Glacier
Approximate mileage: 270 km / 168 miles
Drive through the village of Kirkjubaejarklaustur, site of a medieval convent. Explore Skaftafell, a green oasis nestled below the great Vatnajökull glacier. Skaftafell is part of Vatnajökull National Park, the largest of its type in Western Europe.
Continue across black sand plains created by glacial activity. Stop at the amazing Jökulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, a filming location for many Hollywood blockbusters. Then head onwards to the charming harbor town Höfn, also known as the lobster capital of northern Europe. Overnight in the Hornafjördur area.
Highlights: Jökulsarlon | Skaftafell National Park | Vatnajökull | Höfn
Optional: Glacier Wonders (from Skaftafell in Vatnajökull National Park) | Amphibian Boat Tour on Glacial Lagoon (from the lagoon)
Day 4 HÖFN - EAST FJORDS - EGILSTADIR (B)
Narrow Fjords - Steep Mountains - Picturesque Coastline - Intriguing Stone Collection
Approximate mileage: 265 km / 165 mi
Breakfast at your accommodation. Drive along the rugged coastline of the East Fjords. Perhaps you'll visit Djupivogur village harbor and its unique egg sculptures or Petra's famous stone collection at Stodvarfjördur Fjord.
You can then either drive straight through Fagridalur to Egilsstadir or head along the East Fjords, one of the oldest regions in Iceland, shaped by glaciers during the Ice Age. Although many are uninhabited, each fjord has its own grandeur. The natural harbors in the fjords led to the development of fishing villages that have still hung on to a degree of old-world charm.
Depending on your schedule, you might enjoy the opportunity to swim in a genuine hot spring lake at the new Vök geothermal area near Egilsstadir. Overnight in the Egilsstadir area.
Highlights: Skrudur Island | Petra's Minerals | Djupivogur | Reydarfjördur | Egilsstadir
Day 5 DETTIFOSS - HUSAVIK - MYVATN (B)
Highland Desert - Europe's Most Powerful Waterfall - Glacier Carved Gorge - Whale Watching
Approximate mileage: 275 km / 171 mi
Travel across the Mödrudalsoræfi highlands renowned for their stark, untouched beauty towards Dettifoss, Europe's mightiest waterfall. Then travel through the otherworldly canyon landscapes of northern Vatnajökull National Park. Take some time to enjoy the walking trails and viewing points around the magnificent horseshoe-shaped canyon Asbyrgi.
Drive onwards to Tjörnes peninsula and the friendly Husavik fishing port. Tonight you might enjoy the opportunity to relax in the soothing warm ocean waters of the GeoSea Geothermal Spa as you look out towards the Arctic Circle.
Important: Please note Roads 864, 862 and therefore, Road 85 are usually closed during the fall, winter and spring until the end of May (Road opening dates are dependent on the weather conditions).
Until these roads are open, please take the scenic Ring Road 1 to Road 87 and on to Husavik.
Very Important- Please note that Roads 864 and 862 are gravel roads, and you need to pay attention to warning signs in the area if road conditions are not good for driving. Overnight in the Husavik area.
Highlights: Jökulsargljufur National Park | Dettifoss | Asbyrgi | Husavik | Whale Museum
Optional: Whale Watching in traditional Oak boat - from Husavik
Day 6 LAKE MYVATN - AKUREYRI - GODAFOSS (B)
Bizarre Lava Formations - Geothermal & Volcanic Activity - Rich Birdlife - Waterfall "Of the Gods"- The Capital of North Iceland
Approximate mileage: 165 km / 103 mi
Breakfast at your accommodation. Explore the highlights of the Lake Myvatn area, including the mystical volcanic formations at Dimmuborgir, the pseudo craters at Skutustadir, the colorful sulfurous slopes of Namaskard, and the Krafla volcanic area. Perhaps you might relax with a visit to the azure blue Myvatn Nature Baths, where you can enjoy the soothing waters and the natural steam baths and sauna.
Drive on to Godafoss waterfall en route to Akureyri, the charming "capital" of North Iceland.
Overnight in the Akureyri area or Northwest Iceland (Saudakrokur and Varmahlid area)
Please Note: The Ring Road route today contains a toll tunnel.
Highlights: Myvatn | Dimmuborgir | Krafla | Godafoss | Akureyri | Myvatn Nature Baths
Day 7 AKUREYRI - REYKHOLT - BORGARNES - REYKJAVIK (B)
Fertile Farmlands - Glacial Rivers - Folk Museum - Scenic Fjord
Approximate mileage: 490 km / 305 mi
Drive through the historical region of Skagafjördur renowned for horse breeding. You have an option of visiting the old farmstead at Glaumbær a great example of traditional Icelandic architecture. Continue to the bay of Hunafloi, where you might visit the Seal Center and perhaps take a seal watching tour.
Then head across Holtavorduheidi plateau, entering Borgarfjördur area. Visit the beautiful Hraunfossar lava falls and Deildartunguhver, Europe's most powerful hot springs. Near Deildartunguhver is Krauma, the intriguing "fire and ice" geothermal spa that uses water from the springs.
Drive to Reykjavik in the evening.
Alternative Route for Today: Another option if you are traveling between mid-June and August and have a 4WD vehicle is to travel across the barren wasteland on the Kjolur highland road to the geothermal wilderness oasis at Hveravellir before driving to Reykjavik. This historical route heads through a landscape of black sands, high mountains, and two magnificent glaciers. (If you take the Kjölur option, alternative distance would be 410 km, 255 miles and about 6 hours)
Important information about Kjölur- Please note that a 4WD vehicle is needed for this unpaved mountain track- Car Category 5.0 or higher) The Kjölur track is generally open mid-June through August, openings subject to weather and road conditions. Overnight in Reykjavik.
Highlights: Dalvik | Saudarkrokur | Barnafoss | Hraunfossar | Borgarnes
Day 8 REYKJAVIK DEPARTURE (B)
Approximate distance: 52 km / 32 mi
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport, if you did not have time to do it on your arrival day. *
**Please note that the package price is based on 7 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 8 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 7 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
Highlights: Reykjavik | The Blue Lagoon