From $1,885 USD
February 1 - April 7, 2018
5 Days / 4 Nights
South Iceland Winter Explorer, Super Jeep Adventure. Enjoy glaciers, rivers, mountains, black sand beaches. Visit Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon and Thorsmork.
Discover South Iceland in winter by Super Jeep. Travel through Iceland's stunning winter landscapes onboard a 4x4 vehicle. Explore the secrets of South Iceland on way to the iconic Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon. Get off the beaten track to visit Thorsmork Nature Reserve. Our small group size and experienced driver guide make it possible to enjoy exciting adventures along the way, such as glacier hiking, lava cave exploring and bathing in a secret lagoon.
February 1 - April 6, 2018
Thursdays February 2, 16 March 2, 9, 23 April 6 Guaranteed departures
- from $1,885 per person in double room
- from $2,175 single room
- 2 nights at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura (4 star) or similar
- Breakfast buffet daily (except arrival day)
- 2 nights at Hrifunes Guesthouse or similar with 3 course dinner and breakfast
- 3 x gourmet lunch boxes (on day 2, 3 and 4)
- A taste of shark and brennivin
- Guided Super Truck tour on day 2 - 4
- Glacier hike including all necessary equipment
- Lava tube caving including necessary equipment (day 2)
- Glacier hike including all necessary equipment (day 3)
- Entrance to the Secret lagoon at Fludir (day 4)
- International airfare & Airport taxes
- Round-trip transfers between airports and hotels
- Meals other than mentioned
- Swimsuit and towel at the Secret Lagoon (rentals available)
- Beverages, snacks, lunches, dinners unless otherwise noted in itinerary
- Guaranteed early check-in (check-in time for most hotels in Iceland is 14:00
- Guaranteed late check-out
- Any service not specifically listed under "included"
- Personal insurance / personal items
- $25 Service fee
- All departures guaranteed with minimum of 2 participants
- Maximum group size: 12 participants
- Children 6-11 years sharing a room and/or traveling with a guardian will receive 25% discount from the listed price, valid when one child shares a double room with 2 adults
- Prices may change without prior notice
- The Northern Lights are a natural phenomena, and sightings can not be guaranteed
- Airport transfers with Flybus
- Additional nights in Reykjavik
- Blue Lagoon entrance and towel fee
Day 1 WELCOME TO ICELAND - REYKJAVIK
Transfer on your own from the Keflavik Airport to your hotel in Reykjavik. Overnight stay in Reykjavik (airport transfer not included).
Optional (at an extra cost): Arrival via Blue Lagoon | Bathing fee at the Blue Lagoon
Highlights: Reykjavik | National Gallery | Hallgrimskirkja | Tjornin | Solar Voyager | Perlan | Laugardalur | The Blue Lagoon
Day 2 EYJAFJALLAJOKULL - SOUTH COAST - 4 X4 ADVENTURE (B, L, D)
4x4 Adventures - Caving - Eyjafjallajokull area - Black Sand Coast - Waterfalls
Breakfast at your hotel. Meet your driver-guide, who will brief you on the day's excursion. Today you will be an explorer as well as a traveller! It's important to know that your guide will adjust the itinerary to snow- and and weather conditions, to make sure that each day is an adventure.
Once you leave the city limits, it won't take long to reach remote areas. Hopefully we can start the day with an easy caving expedition into an ancient lava tube. After emerging from underground, we will drive through an area of local farms to gain more understanding of how people live their daily life in Iceland's countryside.
Upon reaching the area of Eyjafjallajokull, the volcano that caused air traffic chaos in 2010, it will soon be time for a break to savour a gourmet picnic lunch featuring local specialties.
Next we visit one of the numerous waterfalls of the south coast. We hope to reach a waterfall, accessible only to small groups, where we will spend ample time to enjoy this hidden gem.
Then climb aboard the 4x4 vehicle again, to drive along part of the south coast's famous black-sand beaches.
Spend the evening at the Hrifunes guesthouse, a cozy home in the countryside, far away from any light pollution and therefore giving you a good chance of glimpsing the elusive Northern Lights.*
*Please note that the Northern Lights are a natural phenomena, and sightings can not be guaranteed.
Highlights: Eyjafjallajokull | Skogafoss
Day 3 ELDHRAUN - SKAFTAFELL NATIONAL PARK - GLACIAL LAGOON (B, L, D)
Extensive Lava fields - Glacier Hike - Glacial Lagoon with Icebergs - Cozy Cottage
After a hearty Icelandic breakfast, start the day by driving along the mountain road that crosses Eldhraun, a huge lava field from an eruption in the 18th century. Some historians believe this was the cause of the French Revolution (more about that during the tour)!
Pass the huge cliffs at Lomagnupur and enjoy some of the hidden gems the south coast has to offer, like incredible columns of basalt.
Continue to Skaftafell National Park, don crampons, and with ice pick in hand, hike on Svinafellsjokull glacier itself. Finally enjoy the famous Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, with its colourful icebergs and lazy seals. Head to Hrifunes guesthouse for another relaxing evening.
Highlights: Eldhraun lava field | Skaftafell National Park | Vatnajokull National Park | Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon
Day 4 HEKLA - THINGVELLIR - GULLFOSS - GEYSIR (B, L)
Views of Volcanoes - Waterfalls - Hot Springs - Bathe in a Secret Lagoon
Once again, board the 4x4 for an adventure in the snow. Remember that the Super Truck can access remote locations in winter and the guide will choose the most exciting option, leaving you in awe of the Icelandic nature and pure air, when traversing the way back along the south coast.
After yet another delicious picnic lunch, the plan is to enjoy a swim in a naturally warm lagoon.
End the day by visiting the three pearls of Iceland's Golden Circle region: the big waterfall Gullfoss, the spouting hot spring area of Geysir and the national park and UNESCO site Thingvellir, location of Iceland's first parliament and the meeting point where two tectonic plates are slowly but steadily separating.
Your guide will bid you adieu with a taste of Iceland's famous schnapps, Brennivin, and a bit of fermented shark meat to go with it. It may not sound tasty, but wait until you've tried it!
Return to Reykjavik where the evening is at your leisure. Overnight at hotel in Reykjavik.
Highlights: Thingvellir National Park | Geysir | Gullfoss
Day 5 DEPARTURE REYKJAVIK (B)
After breakfast transfer to the international airport (not included).
What is a Super Jeep / Super truck?
A Super Jeep/Super Truck is originally a standard truck/SUV or van that is modified according to strict regulations in Iceland. It is basically a specially equipped 4x4 vehicle with very large tires (36-46 inch or 95-120 cm tall) ideally designed to face Iceland's demanding terrains and unpredictable weather both in winter and summer.